new to metal detecting ..in myrtle beach

nbmd21

Jan 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alright so im new to metal detecting and it sounds fun..but i dont have a metal detector yet.
im close to the beach in myrtle beach and thats probably where im going to do most of my hunting
i was curious to know if anyone had suggestions on which metal detector to get ...im a little strapped for cash
and can only afford 22o ish at the most any suggestions on a detector that id be able to use on the beach/dry land elsewhere,
and possibly in an inch or two of surf? thanks!! i was looking at the bounty hunter sharpshooter II model on amazon and it didnt say
whether or not it was vfi or pi as ive read the vfi is baad for salt water ...so any clues?

Last edited:

The Boots

Oct 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, I can't really help you on a detector. I have only used a DFX. I might suggest going in the metal detector brands forum and read lots of posts. I am sure someone will come along soon with some great advice for you. Once you get started you will be hooked.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nbmd21, see response to your other post.

THTx

Flex68

Dec 10, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently researching to buy
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome!
Good luck hunting on the Grand Strand, esp. in Myrtle Beach. That place is kept hot with swingers!

The locals are out hunting all hours of the day and night... got up early one morning last year, and counted six just in front of the motel I was staying in.
Lights on the beach all through the night, between shell and tooth hunters, and detectorists.
With that kind of activity, the quality of detector you purchase will likely be even more important, and I am not sure that you'll really be offering yourself a respectable chance with a $200 detector

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
images5SHWNXA9.jpg

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to the forum from N. Mississippi. You might look at the White coin master to start. Google metal detector reviews and view the different machines in you budget range. After that its a piece of cake. You also might want to look at the different weights of detectors. Some are a lot heavier than others with the same results.

NoBootyYet

Dec 3, 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello newbie and welcome from Alabama. I wish you happy hunting. Feel free to share your cool finds as well as the things that you learn.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, for that budget, the Garrett Ace 250 would be about what you can afford. It will work ,but not the best for mineralized soil. The closer to the water, the more interference it will get.

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! I suggest buying one used if you can find a nice one. As said above, the ace 250 does poor in high mineral soil but is a decent detector.
Do you want it for coins relics or gold? The ace 250 and most lower end detectors are unable to find gold. I seen a gold nugget passed over the 250 coil and it sounded off. But when he put the nugget on the ground, the 250 could not pick it up.

Any metal detector can find gold coins and jewelry,iron, relics what ever. Any detector will find coins or lost metals.

Corlett

Jan 22, 2014
Manchester
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Special edition
Whites Dual field P.I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum....and good luck.

ezman604

Jan 8, 2014
West Coast of Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Bud 220 Select
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. I spent 4 NICE years stationed at The Beach. :)
First place we lived in was a beach house while we waited on a unit in base housing to open up. Could walk out my back door and take about a dozen steps and be in the sand. Found my first silver coin there using my old Bounty Hunter. GOOD Luck beachcombing and keep us informed on your purchase and hunting.

SAFE & Happy Detecting!!!!
Dave
8-)

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! great place to start hunting and check out the Fisher F2. Sells for 200 and has a vdi with good discrimination and depth read out and the coil and shaft can be submerged in water. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread