Hello From Afghanistan

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
Dean, welcome to TNET and a great big THANK YOU for your service for the USA! Wishing you find lots of gold when you get back home! Again my thanks and best regards to you !!!

gman7665

Mar 1, 2013
Campville New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well only about 50 days left, We will all be Waiting for Your Safe Return to Join Us all here on T.Net... Thank You for Your Service !!! Sergeant Garry Paul

OP
OP
U

USAFM6

Mar 7, 2014
Tyndall Air Force Base Florida / Iron River, WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari & Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep, 48 days until I pop smoke. But then have a crazy series of flights and waiting in between flights at different locations to get home via mil aircraft. I see many of you are veterans also. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE! I'll post pics of the Viper set up in the gravel pit once we get that op running. Thanks again for all of your kind words.
Deno

Gold Rover

Feb 19, 2014
Western Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
48 days and a wake up. You're so short you could parachute off of a dime......into a DZ with a gravel pit, cabin and river! Well played and well deserved.

Thank you for your service and good luck in the future. I can't wait to see the pics.

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

USAFM6

Mar 7, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks again for the kind words everyone. Down to 38 days remaining here and I believe I have everything I need to set up the Gold Hog Viper in my gravel pit and start running material when I get home. Many of you here are experienced in this stuff and it's new to me so I have a question I'm hoping some of you can help with. I have taken material from my gravel pit in the past for making & fixing roads/trails etc and the 60' X 100' area I've now worked sits about 10 feet above the level of the bedrock in the river bottom 75' away from the river. I've taken about 6' depth of gravel away already in that 60' X 100' area when a logger logged my land and used the gravel to make roads in my woods. As I understand it, the highest concentrations of gold will probably be on the bedrock under all the gravel. I have no heavy equipment to get down that far and am wondering if it is worth it to run all that 10' of gravel before the bedrock or should I hire someone with heavy equipment to get down to the bedrock?

Satellite pic attached. My land in red (and further nouth and south), gravel pit in yellow, blue arrows = river flow.

The land that is all gravel (underneath the first 8" of topsoil) west (left) of the railroad tracks, is about 5 acres in size so there will be lots of gravel here. I assume the gravel was placed in this location when the glaciers melted and formed the river. If you'll notice, the gravel area is on the outside curve of the river like it was deposited there by really high water. Or, was it dropped by the glacier? Based on the position of the gravel in relation to the river and it's flow, might this be a good spot for gold? I guess I'll see when I start running material.

I guess I'll start with running the gravel 10' above the bedrock to see what's in it using shovels and stick to one small area and just go down as far as I can go with a shovel and a tapered wall hole for safety. The gravel is about 60% sand & 40% rock with most rocks averaging about 1/2"-2" in diameter. There are 1 foot diameter rocks scattered throughout the gravel getting one of those in about each 3 yards of gravel.

I'm thinking that I have 5 acres of gravel and I'll never get through it in my lifetime. I will welcome anyone who wishes to come by when I'm there and run gravel through your equipment if you want. I'll do a good run and clean out first to determine if it would be worth your trouble to come over. This way you'll be helping me to get down to bedrock too.

When I get home I'll start a new post and let you know the results and let you know here where that post will be. I should be starting the 3rd weekend in May.

Attachments

• land5.jpg
    land5.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 105

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome from N. Mississippi and thanks for you service. detector 8.jpg

OP
OP
U

USAFM6

Mar 7, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
P1010887.JPG

Flying Old Glory high over Afghanistan on Easter Morning.

19 days and I leave my camp here in AFG. Might take about a week to get home on the mil flights though. I'll keep you all posted on when I start running the Viper in the gravel pit.

nor kal kid

Feb 19, 2014
northern kalifornia, Bay area
Detector(s) used
XLT, Mxt all pro, garrett pp.coils 10"DD, 950, 12"spyder.for mxt all pro. Coils for xlt 950 and 15" magnum force field "depth plus"mxt max coil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you and all of your brothers over their and around the world who risk everything for us and this country.be safe and welcome aboard.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a long time coming, Thank you so much for what you do, be safe and God be with you.:icon_salut:

capriceus

Apr 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A hearty THANK You and a BIG HUG for defending our country !
( As a widow of an Air Force Retired E-9, I know about sacrifices that you and your family endure).
BE SAFE !

Dicentra

Apr 16, 2014
Central NY
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep your head down until you can show that place a**h*** and elbows.

I am jealous of your future life.

All the best to you.

P.S. Great pictures. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you as well for your service! Think about detecting upon your arrival back home and the time will go by before you know it. I did 6 years Army and 17 years Air Force and realize your proud duty to serve. The main concern for you and your group is to remain safe. My last tour was in Bahrain and the first time in all those years to receive major per dium, like $103.00 per day. The tour was Operation Enduring Freedom and we changed it to;Operation Enduring Per Diem!Hope to cheer you up a bit.God Bless!Rich

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for your service.

wherenext1961

Apr 20, 2014
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Mine Lab pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a month or so later, whats your day count now? Stay safe we want you to enjoy all your days in the Northwoods. Hope all is well with you. The snow is probably not gone yet in Northern Wisconsin. There's still plenty in the Western UP. Still places to ride the sled there, but the snows getting hard and ugly. Lake Superior is still 60% frozen over, so detecting on the beach is not an option yet. Hopefully it will be melted when you get here. A blow torch could be used to hurry it along though.

Keep safe.

wherenext1961

Apr 20, 2014
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Mine Lab pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This might make you feel like home. Check out Johndee.com. Check out the northwoods cams, maybe one is close to your digs.

OP
OP
U

USAFM6

Mar 7, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks everyone! 9 days until I leave my remote camp & leave AFG in 16 days. Each year here seems longer than the others were. Really looking forward to shoveling gravel in that Viper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread