Hello from Georgia

gunnermac

Apr 20, 2014
Athens Ga. area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I am Mac from the Athens Ga. area. I have always been interested in relic hunting and history, but have not had the time, until now, to pursue them. I have several old, cheap detectors that I have little luck finding anything with, except pull tabs and nails. Am looking to buy a good machine and work a number of sites that I have discovered over the years.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard from Valdosta, GA! What kind of budget do you have for a different machine? Do you like to have a VDI screen to look at? Also I'm pretty sure that the ground around Athens in pretty hot, so a machine with ground balance will probably be a good choice. Do you ever plan on lake or creek hunting?

Regards,
Walt

OP
OP
G

gunnermac

Apr 20, 2014
Athens Ga. area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks,Walt
My budget is in the $500 to $700 range. This area is on top of a granite dome, with the attendant problems. Primarily, at first at least, I am going to work a number of old home sites that I have found over the years. I am very likely to be working creeks and lakes. Having never used a machine with a VDI screen I don't know if that is a feature that I might like. Any recommendation would be appreciated. Mac

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pp-civilwar-print2 (2).jpg

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend the Garrett AT Pro if you want a machine that is waterproof up to 10 feet. The Minelab Xterra 505 or 705 are great machines and probably would be my choice if you were just wading up to knee deep water, it's control housing is not waterproof. You may be able to find a used Safari in that price range also. I've had great service and help from Keith at Fort Bedford Detectors. Good luck and HH!

Walt

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mac, I forgot to mention the Sovereign GT. It is a multiple freq BBS (Broad Band Spectrum same as the Excalibur water machine) without a screen and one of my personal favorites. They can be found used within your budget and there are still a few new ones for $850-$1000. There are 2 shaft configurations, a straight shaft and S shaft. I recommend the straight shaft because it has a perfect balance. They can be hip/chest mounted for water hunting up to waist deep water. I recently purchased a used one that had only been used 4 times that is within your budget but it's 3 year warranty was out. Once you learn it's language and tones it is a very effective machine that has a proven track record since the original model was introduced in 1990. There are several inline meters available to give you a readout of what the target may be, but nothing about its depth.The most popular being Ron's 180 meter. Minelab discontinued this line in December 2012 as they seem to do when newer technology is introduced. I have read it will be supported by Minelab for the next 10 years or so. Just wanted to throw that out there since you have been using non-screened machines. http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/75105/Tips%20and%20Tricks%20-%20Sovereign%20GT.pdf

Last edited:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! The Garrett AT Pro is a very versatile machine for your neck of the woods. Waterproof and has ground balance capabilities. Call me if I can answer any questions for you.

Wayne

(832) 928-9135

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread