Expat in Roatan, Honduras

May 13, 2014
Roatan, Honduras
Detector(s) used
None yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,

I'm a freelance scuba diving instructor living on a small Caribbean island in Honduras called Roatan. I teach scuba diving and also teach people about the fight to save the second largest coral reef system in the world, the Mesoamerican Reef, from the invasive lionfish (Pterois volitans and Pterois miles). I'm a full Tec Trimix Diver and I co-founded World Lionfish Hunters Association. I actively hunt invasive lionfish in my free time and make and sell high quality lionfish containment tubes here on Roatan as well.

I'm an adventurer at heart, exploring the deeper waters around my island down to 200 feet, and am now expanding that sense of adventure to include treasure hunting of all kinds, in and out of the water. Interestingly enough, it was finding a cheaply made rebar anchor that sparked my interest in pirate treasure, and not the stories of pirate treasure themselves. Once I found out that, that piece of junk hand welded anchor would bring me $50 on the island, I was hooked on finding more things of value.

Recently, I've become more and more interested in finding treasure that pirates (and tourists, lol) have left behind. The more I learn about this place the more I understand just how much there is to find here and I want to see what I can find.

Thanks for having me!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Kelly,
I parked my boat many times in front of the Paseo del Sol resort on Guanaja. The owner was (maybe still is) George Cundiff; his son, Mike, crewed on my boat. If you get over there, look him up. He's loaded with treasure stories; and remind him that I still have fond memories of his place and his treasure stories; especially one from the Hog Islands and a vessel bound for Utila from the Hogs.
Don MacKay

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome aboard!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WELCOME ABOARD:skullflag:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread