New guy from Connecticut.

banshee89

Tenderfoot
May 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I have always been a history buff and have dug bottles, mill hoped, and done a fair amount of mineral hunting. About 4 months ago I purchased my first Metal Detector and I'm hooked.

My first detector is a BH tracker (yeah laugh all you want) I have actually had great luck with it. I like how simplistic it is and it has taught me that sound is everything. Its been a great machine and I have definitely gotten my monies worth out of it.... but I am looking for something with a little more depth and a little more discrimination. The bounty hunter has taught me that I don't need any fancy LCD screen with 1000 programmable presets or a detector that looks like it could run the space shuttle. After doing some research......... I fell in love. I did not think I would find a simplistic detector like the BH but better. Like with cell phones I though most detectors where going with the "more is better" route. Then I found it.

The Tesoro company .

I am getting a Tesoro. Not sure on the model yet..... but its me. For this hobby I just don't see the need to haul a PC around and I want my Brain to analyze the sound and determine if I should did.... not some little black box. I am going to join the cult.

I will post in the MD forums to get some input on a model. I am think silver max..... but a compadre may be cheaper and do everything my BH did except better.

Hello from the Connecticut area. :headbang:

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Connecticut for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

DanTheNewbie

Apr 19, 2012
Central connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey what's up banshee I am from ct as well, I recently have gotten into bottle digging.
I'd be willing to trade detecting spots for bottle dump sites..

I have a few good spots and one really cool old stage coach stop middle of nowhere like 10 or more cellar holes in small area, I'm still new to bottle digging I could probably find some there I just don't know where to look lol

OP
OP
B

banshee89

Tenderfoot
May 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey what's up banshee I am from ct as well, I recently have gotten into bottle digging.
I'd be willing to trade detecting spots for bottle dump sites..

I have a few good spots and one really cool old stage coach stop middle of nowhere like 10 or more cellar holes in small area, I'm still new to bottle digging I could probably find some there I just don't know where to look lol

To be honest most of the bottle sites in central Ct are just plain old hunted out or erased from history by construction. I grew up on a farm in Eastern Ct and my dad was a history buff as well so I have had the opportunity to hit some fresh spots in the past. I used to just go into the woods in eastern CT and start walking and exploring..... but times have changed.... and because of layers and insurance companies people are paranoid of letting people on there private land. Not to mention the Urban sprawl that has taken over most of the good spots and rendered it almost impossible to just pull of the road and explore without ending up in someones back yard.

I still do explore and own a on/off road motorcycle to travel powerlines, railroad beds, Etc..... and still come across some neat stuff and hunting places. But again, I use caution as people are parinoid. Its funny how some people will claim a dirtbike or digging a small hole will destroy the forest, but then you go back 5 years latter and there is a huge development in that same spot. I guess a bulldozer is OK. Anyway.. I guess I'm saying I don't bottle dig much anymore but I know of some promising spots. Also, in rural CT..... if there is an old house.... it had a dump somewhere. Sometimes right out the kitchen window.

I actually work for a large Water Department and have access and knowledge of some untouched (I think) areas for metal detecting in water shed area. I have also done some extensive research through the years on my towns history for work..... and know of some spots that I think are untouched and not known. I went out yesterday to one spot and after about 3 hours had about 25 coins, although the vast majority where clad, I did get some wheat's and 2 silvers. ......... and a bucket of pull tabs.

I have found that research and location is everything in central Ct and that most of the guys I see are in the wrong spot. Also, at least in my area.... Rt384, and Rt84 changed the landscape and a lot of good spots have been erased from history. For example Charted Oak park in Manchester has been around since the 1800s..... but in the 60s Rt384 was built right through the center of it. It changed everything and a lot was erased. I still think... by studying some old maps and photos there are a few spots that could use a good checking but they are not where most people would expect them to be. Again research is everything and I see a lot of people running over ground that was bulldozed in the 60s.

I don't want to give away much information in a public forum... for obvious reasons... but PM me and maybe we can compare some notes.

Thats me anyway. I don't have much experience detecting cellar holes but I would like to give it a go as that must be where the really old stuff would be.

Do you detect relics or just coins?

I do mainly coins, but I am still new, so relics could be fun. I am not in it for the money, just the history and that thrill of uncovering that coin. Its neat to find a 100 year old coin and wonder where its been and who dropped it. I also don't dig in cemeteries (yes I have seen people do it), baseball diamonds, town greens, or other areas where digging holes would ruin the turf and be frowned upon. I know some of the people in parks and rec... and they take pride in keeping some areas sharp.. I respect that, along with cemeteries. I like children and don't mind when they run up and are curious ( I noticed some posts where people don't like it). I have 3 young children of my own and at least one is always with me while I am detecting.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread