kahurangi

Jun 7, 2014
Golden Bay
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys.
Having recently purchased a Garrett ACE 250 I thought I may as well join Treasurenet having read through the forums over the last 2 weeks. Lots of interesting stories and advice on here.
I registered under the name "kahurangi" which is a Maori name meaning blue or treasured one. The Maori were the recognised original settlers of New Zealand. As with a lot of maori names there is more than 1 meaning to a word. A lot depends on different tribes and how the word is used when speaking. Bloody confusing sometimes. It is also the name used for one of our largest National Parks in New Zealand, Kahurangi National Park which is on the west side of Golden Bay. On the east side we have Abel Tasman National Park, which is the most easily accesable NP in the country. It is a very popular walking-hiking area.
Today it's raining, so what better time to register here.
As you have no doubt gathered, i live in the Golden Bay region which is at the top north west corner of the South Island of New Zealand. Only one road into this region via the Takaka hill. Check it out on line sometime as it is a very nice place to be living. Only an hour and half away from Nelson city if the desire is there to check out city life.
This is mainly a rural region with lots of dairy and aqua farming but also a very tourist orientated and "arts" area.. Static population for Golden Bay is roughly 4000 but over the summer months it rises to up to 20000+. Right now is the beginning of winter so the area is reasonably quiet.
I own a couple of businesses here and seemed to not have enough spare time for myself. I hope to change that soon.
As New Zealand is classed as a young country as far as human habitants are concerned most of any "old" stuff to be found will be less than 200 years old.
No doubt it will still be exciting finding buried treasures even if they are only bottle tops.

I have only been out twice detecting. First time was in the back yard the evening I got my detector. Dug lots of holes and found a few nails before it got too dark. The grass didn't look that flash the next morning. Lucky the dog didn't think she would have a go as well.
My next day off I went to a couple of local areas near the beach.
Found heaps of bottle caps, tent pegs, tear tabs, foil, nails, lumps of metal, some coins, jewellery, fishing sinker and a safety pin etc.
Stoked.
Have found the ACE 250 reasonably easy to operate even for this 50+ year old. However, it has got an annoying habit of giving a strong signal but I am unable to pinpoint the location. Will have to do some more thorough research on this.
I hope to be able to post some pictures one day of something great that I will have dug up.
Cheers until next time.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome from the home of the Alamo. I have a 250. Has never really failed me. Good hunting...

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome aboard!

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
time to prove some wrong as far as age,would be neat.i hope you find a copper arrowhead

OP
OP
K

kahurangi

Jun 7, 2014
Golden Bay
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
time to prove some wrong as far as age,would be neat.i hope you find a copper arrowhead

Now that, would really throw our history all out of whack if I found one of them.
The early Maori had wooden and stone tools only, until the white man came along.
The best I could hope for as far as early relics are concerned, is probably an early musket( ball) or other tools from the first English settlers.
I'm looking forward to finding anything really and will be travelling around the various sites I think could be worthwhile.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions