Newbie in Ohio

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello fellow dirt fisherman!!! I bought my first metal detector 3 years ago, some cheap treasure cove model, I tried it, couldn't find anything so it was put up in the shed where it sat for 3 years. During this past frozen winter I ran across this site and enjoyed seeing and reading about the amazing finds ya'll were posting. After a few days watching UTube videos, I pulled the cheap detector out. Found the best setting "on this site" and began my adventure in late April. After air testing and playing around with the cheap detector. I began to find clad anywhere and everywhere. Since then I have upgraded to a used Fisher F4, "call me cheap" but why buy new when used will do ($295) not a bad price. I wanted to get deeper and have the ability to better discriminate. So Far I have detected 5 properties and have some cool finds. One house, the owner stated that the property was detected 4 other times in the past 3 years. I found my 1st silver (64 rosie) a 1938 nickel, and an 1875 seated dime. The seated dime was in the last 2 grid rows I set up for the property. I use the historical maps online for this town, dated 1874 since it shows the structures that were here back then. I use this phylosophy for picking the older homes to detect. If the yard is not manicured I ask to detect it and have never been turned down. I believe my age has something to do with winning their trust. If the yard is manicured I do not ask. When I am bored or just want to polish my skills I go to the local fairgrounds, or to other small towns to detect at defunct schools and parks. I did Drive 80 miles round trip Saturday Memorial Day weekend to a closed military depot up on Lake Erie. Not much money, but I did walk away with a 1936 Buffalo Nickel. I am making it into a necklace and have coper plated it for effect. Figure it will look better on a gold chain with the slight copper color. If I start a property I do not leave until I find a ring or coin.

Look forward to being a part of this community.

Retired Army (27 years service).

Last edited:

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet!
Congrats on the good finds and thank you for your service in the Army!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Ohio for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

OhioPlugger

May 19, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fellow Ohioan! Welcome to the site good sir! Whereabouts in Ohio are you located if I may ask?

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yet another welcome from a fellow Ohioan. A ton of good info here. Happy hunting and thanks for your service!

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am 40 miles WSW of Cleveland in lower Lorain County, how about you?

smalltowngirl13

Gold Member
Aug 1, 2012
Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello and welcome to the forum...and as mentioned, your military service is greatly appreciated!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard!! :)

OhioPlugger

May 19, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am 40 miles WSW of Cleveland in lower Lorain County, how about you?

I'm in central Ohio in Delaware County, but if you're ever down this way and need a hunting partner, feel free to drop me a line! :)

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Roger that OhioPlugger, I have so many local places on the radar for now, but a trip South is not out of the question later this summer
:icon_thumleft:

OhioPlugger

May 19, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roger that OhioPlugger, I have so many local places on the radar for now, but a trip South is not out of the question later this summer
:icon_thumleft:

Hehe understandable, I'm in the same boat. So much land, so little time. Good luck in your hunts!

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
grats on the finds! and welcome!

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet, and thank you for your service!

Steve

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting