Nearly 100 hours under my belt and I have found stuff! Yay!

portubob

Greenie
Jan 16, 2014
Stanton, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a kid, I always thought it would be cool to have my own detector; however, I never had the means to get one, so it was put out of my mind...until...last November (2013), my pop-in-law was watching youtube videos of folks finding cool stuff and I caught the bug. I realized as an adult, I actually have the money for this hobby now...my first adult hobby! I talked with quite a few sellers on craigslist and read many of your articles about being a newbie. After 3 months of reading articles ya'll have written and watching many many youtube videos, I bought a Garrett ACE 250 on craigslist for $175. I was so proud of myself...my wife forced me to save for it over 4 paychecks rather than just buying it outright. She wanted to make sure I really wanted it, I guess.

Since then, I'm up to about 4 wheat pennies, no silver coins, a necklace with a .925 silver cross and a .925 silver ring with a garnet as well as a junk ring (I think it's junk-it has not imprint inside), and about $50 in clad (which took me a while to understand that's pretty much all 1965 and newer coins). A fellow detectorist in S. Cal told me that as long as I just kept going, my detector would pay for itself. So far, he's right, it's working it's way there...

Now for some questions... What do you all do with your finds once you get the more pricey ones? Where do you sell them/how do you sell them? Or do you just hold onto them as mementos?

I just bought a Whites TRX pinpointer on eBay for $100...I should get it Mon-Wed next week. This hobby just keeps getting more and more expensive. haha. So here are my goals:

Find enough with my ACE 250 to pay for scuba certification ($180 in S. Cal through Groupon), then eventually to buy an underwater detector...which based on what I've read/seen, the Fisher CZ21 is probably my best bet? I don't plan on going much deeper than 10 feet with my detector and wonder if there'd be a better underwater detector with a discriminate option...as well as finding a way to make sure my new TRX is waterproofed for that depth.

Thanks all for your help and support!

My first ring: (found in a freshwater lake--Grand Lake, CO about 18" below the surface using my ACE 250)
20140802_153221.jpg 20140802_153131.jpg

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd go with a Minelab Excalibur and a Vibra-Probe pinpointer. Both very waterproof. If you get a CTX it's only good to 10 feet so if you spotted a likely spot at 15 feet you'd be outta luck. Diving machines are expensive and so is the rest of the gear needed. That's a sweet little ring you found, got a ways to go before you pay for your underwater enterprise in which I wish you great luck.

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CZ-21 is a great under water machine. There are some good videos on youtube, showing people finding some really nice stuff. Good luck!

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wel-come aboard ... :thumbsup:

OP
OP
P

portubob

Greenie
Jan 16, 2014
Stanton, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for your words of encouragement.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasurenet! The Cz21 is a very capable detector. The Minelab Excalibur is probably the top choice for a lot of underwater hunters due to the multi frequencies. Your White's TRX is dunk proof, just don't push any buttons while under water.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

OP
OP
P

portubob

Greenie
Jan 16, 2014
Stanton, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A little over a year later and I have found even more ;) I wanted to give an update. I have found over $150 of clad, 6 or 7 silver rings, and my latest find was with an Excalibur II I bought myself for Christmas. I found a hefty sterling silver ring with 18k gold on the top. I've posted nearly 30 metal detecting videos on my YouTube channel, and life is good. I'm about to head to Ohio next week and hope to detect along the route. Once I come back from Ohio, I'll be buying another underwater detector-probably the underwater by detectorpro, then heading off to Catalina Island in January...life is good.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lot of us would encourage you to be more involved with TreasureNet along your detecting successes and journeys. You have made some great finds, and we would like to see them posted, fresh out of the ground! I understand hanging on forums can be time consuming, but if you want to post more often... you have alot of friends here to share the hobby with. Good luck in OH, and Happy Hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread