Newbie In Need of Recommendations!

okiechick

Greenie
Nov 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, all! I have always wanted a metal detector, but have never had one. Fast forward...I now have a very gifted, homeschooling daughter (age 7, but wise beyond her years) who is fascinated with the idea and is asking for a metal detector for Christmas!

I need recommendations on what would be a good detector for her, that actually works well but would still be light enough for her to carry. As far as cost goes, I would say $250 or less, and I would rather it be a little big (but still manageable) and her be able to use it for a long time, rather than be a "kiddie gift" with no real longevity.

Does such a thing exist? I would love to hear your recommendations! I think I am as excited about the possibilities as she is. :-)

Thanks in advance for the help!

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to TNet! You could pick up a Garret Ace 250 , for around your price.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ace 250 would be great! :)

C99

Oct 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello.If it is not comfortable she may lose interest quickly. Especially with headphones too big. If there is somewhere you could test drive a few before you buy,that will be useful. My arm hurts after some time and I am an adult.Something light and easy to carry for a 7 year old. I am the king of buying well meaning presents for my offspring that just gather dust. My son is only interested in the xbox. It is great your daughter is interested in real adventure. I wish mine was. Good diggings to you both.

Sandigger2

Mar 25, 2012
Ventura County,So Cal
Detector(s) used
DFX, PIDF,CZ 21,F5,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Welcome from California. The Fisher F2 pkg with 2 coils is another option to look at in your price range. GL

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wel-come aboard and as mentioned the Garrett ACE 250 would be a nice starter ... :hello:

OP
OP
O

okiechick

Greenie
Nov 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all so much for your kind comments and for your suggestions too! Would anyone like to give some pros and cons between the Ace 250 vs the Fisher F2? Just wondering what would make one of them preferable to the other. Thanks again!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The F2 and Ace 250 are comparable units. The F 2 has target ID numbers where the Ace 250 has a curser like icon that displays under a label on the screen. The Ace is a little easier to use because it has preset modes ( Coins, Jewelry, Custom, All Metal). Both units run a tad over $200, well within your budget. I started one grandson on the F2, another on the Ace 250. They both have a shaft that is adjustable for height as she grows.

Give me a call if I can answer any questions for you, and welcome to Treasurenet!

Wayne

(832) 928-9135

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

OP
OP
O

okiechick

Greenie
Nov 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all so much for your recommendations! I appreciate your help so much! :-)

OP
OP
O

okiechick

Greenie
Nov 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One additional question: if given the choice, at exactly the same price, which package would you buy?

A: Pinpointer Kit: F2 with stock 8” concentric coil plus an accessory 4” sniper coil & the Fisher F Pinpointer

B: In place of the pinpointer, the following instead: Pro-Deluxe Lightweight Hi-Fi Headphones, FiberComp 2 in 1 Combo Digger & Sifter, Pro Orange Dot Gloves One Sided, 2 Pocket Coin Pouch/Apron w/ Thin Pocket for Probes, 6X Pocket Magnifying Combo, Lockback Folding Knife, and several other small odds and ends

Just wondering, since the reviews on that pinpointer don't look great.

Thanks again for all of your help! I am so impressed with all of the knowledge in this forum!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The F2GWP package is still a better choice because you get the small coil. Regarding (B), a plastic shovel isn't much use. Most of our customers prefer higher quality steel diggers.

Wayne

Www.metaldetectingstuff.com

OP
OP
O

okiechick

Greenie
Nov 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, Wayne! I probably wasn't very clear. Both come with the same two coils: the choice is just the pinpointer versus all the other "extras" instead. I am going to check out your website right now. :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread