Jan 25, 2015
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also consider other things you might want or need.A digger,pinpointer,finds pouch and such take that into account for your budget.There are several very decent detectors in the 200 to 500 range.Everyone has opinions I personally feel the best entry level deal is the fisher f2 package with the extra 4in coil and pinpointer for 215.00.The pinpointer is not that great but its better than none.If your 500 budget is for just a detector well it opens up more possibilties

OP
OP
C

Crown Royal

Greenie
Jan 25, 2015
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm considering $300-400 for the detector and the balance for extras. The Fisher is one that I am considering. Garrett seems to have a lot of favorable reviews. Considering the 350 model.

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only used a ace350 for a couple hrs not enough to form a fair opinion but nothing to complain about either.The xterra 305 is in your price range.Minelabs are very nice I have never used the 305 but can only assume its as awesome like its family members are

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
350 is a good machine but not worth the extra over the 250, kept my 250, sold the 350 and upgraded to AT Pro, don't skimp on a hand held pin pointer. Teknetics 4000 is great for the money has VDI used on ebay also saves big bucks if you want to get a 600 machine for about 400

OP
OP
C

Crown Royal

Greenie
Jan 25, 2015
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reading reviews on the Teknetics 4000 and sounds like a great entry level machine. Saw a fair amount of discussion comparing the Fisher F2 and F5.

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The f2 is a turn on and go machine.The f5 has more of a learning curve.I consider the f2 to be entry level and the f5 to be midrange.I have been detecting since the 70s and I feel overwhelmed too when its time to buy something new.

OP
OP
C

Crown Royal

Greenie
Jan 25, 2015
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really appreciate all of the feedback! I just read through the Teknetics forum and online reviews. Very positive, seems to be a strong following. Are there pros/cons compared to Fisher F2 or F5, or the Garrett 250/350? Is there another brand/model at my price range I should strongly consider?

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro never owned one but everyone who does speaks highly.Lifetime warranty is the best available

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wel-come aboard ... :hello2:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the budget u have I would consider purchasing a good used detector "check the local craigslist and the ones on this site for a deal" I recently seen a minelab 705 less than 2 years old for $375! I bought a 505 off craigslist almost new for less than my wifes new 305!!! something to think about!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum.

There are many choices in metal detectors, I believe most of the $ 300 - $ 400 (Garrett ACE 250, priced less and is a good machine) dollar range will work well for what you want. Some people shy away from used detectors, but if your purchase a brand name that stands behind their products, I see no problem. If possible, try the machine out before the purchasing. If possible, save a bit more and purchase a mid-range detector that has more flexibility. One suggestion, the Garrett AT Pro since it has multi user modes, fairly rugged, waterproof (10 ft.) and a smaller learning curve compared to other quality brands. If you purchase from the dealers on the forum, perhaps a better deal could be realized. Remember you will need a digging tool, pin pointer, finds bag and extra batteries...etc. These will increase the overall cost. This is why a package deal may be a better value if you save a bit more. I hope whatever path chosen will bring you great enjoyment.

Regards,

OP
OP
C

Crown Royal

Greenie
Jan 25, 2015
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These a great suggestions and I appreciate the input. Considering there's 4-5 inches of snow on the ground I have a bit of time to make an informed decision. What are attributes I should consider for a pin pointer?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread