Newbie with an old Garrett XL500 Sea Hunter

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from San Jose, CA! The Garrett will do fine for now. Get used to it and if you want to do more, then you can branch out on a new one. Happy hunting!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Casper-2, Another newbie here. just purchased a Sea Hunter XL 500 here in Sarasota , Fl. Retired in June this year with deep interests in detecting. Saw in this forum that you have wrote articles relating to this pastime. Would be interested in any input. Thanks

Welcome to the forum from Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all...Water Newbie here who recently picked up a used Garrett XL500 Sea Hunter made in the 90s and I'm anxious to get out in the water and try it out! I've been dirt detecting off and on since the 1970s when my dad was stationed in Germany and started with an old Sears/Whites $19 detector. I scuba dive and live near the ocean in Rhode Island so thought this might be a fun way to bring together a number of my interests but didn't want to jump in with a brand new unit incase reality wasn't as fun as I think it will be. After reading tons of reviews and getting a little lucky to find this unit as I was looking for a PI detector, I sent it off to Garrett and had it checked out, and had the batteries and seals replaced. My big question to all the old timers out there who are familiar with this detector is do they know were I can find one of the optional 13" coils that were originally offered, and are they worth having, or am I just going to get frustrated digging down to China for an old nail. It sounds as this PI with the 8" coil already goes very deep in salt water but I thought there might be an advantage to covering more ground with each swing...the unit does allow you to set the search depth somewhat so the 13" coil might still be of use if I can find one...they don't seem to ever show up on ebay so looking for some insight from others before I waste my time and money trying to run one down. All help is greatly appreciated and hope to see some of you out in the surf...Thanks!:skullflag:

Welcome to the forum from Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've found a great place for information and fellow treasure hunters of all kinds -- welcome aboard! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread