From Central Ohio, ready to hunt but dont know what!

vaborn

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From Central Ohio, ready to hunt but don't know what!

I've been a member here for several years and enjoy looking at other folks' finds and reading their stories. Other than 2 gem mining trips in SC and one short visit to a beach, I haven't done any other searching though I now have the time to devote to it. Central Ohio isn't exactly know as a treasure mecca but I know there has to be more than arrow heads and old bottles. Does anyone have some wisdom to impart on what and where in Ohio to look for? Thank you for any information you can provide.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your wanting old bottles, I'd start by looking for older farm sites that were close to a ravine. Back then there wasn't any trash pick-up services, so what could be burned was burned, what table scarps and food stuffs went to the pets and hogs. All else was normally thrown in a ravine, "out-of-sight-out-of mind" mentality. Also look along canal banks and down in the muck. There is gold in Ohio and you need to go south east of Columbus, down where the glaciers stopped their movement before melting and receding north. Do you own a metal detector? I used to be a dumpster diver. Picked up other peoples trash along the road. Took it home, cleaned and or repaired many items and held yard sales throughout the summer. Made over $2000 in one summer by selling other peoples trash. (Averaged $125 a day).

Just remember. treasure is where you find it and some peoples trash is other peoples treasure.

Good Luck

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Ohio for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Greetings Vaborn,

Hello and welcome to the forum! If you have a detector, start with school yards, parks and any other place where people may gather and loose things. Finding "treasure" is more an art than just swinging a machine. Research old maps at the library to find possible places.

Good Luck in your hunting.

Regards,

Doc

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer