FurTrade

Greenie
Jun 14, 2015
Northern Canada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello guys from Northern Manitoba. I currently live right near an old fur trading post. I'm moving in a few weeks to rural Ontario for work reasons. I have a basic Bounty Hunter from when I was a kid but honestly only used once. I bought a pin pointer but I'm out of ideas for what kind of digging tools to get. Any ideas for digging tools for going over a variety of farm fields and small wooded lots? That's where I'll be doing most of my hunting searching for fur trade era items.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to T-Net, What pin pointer did you buy. It sense that your on a tight budget. I still use a little shovel I paid $13.00 for at the local hardware store. If you need to pry with these, then pull on the wooden part of the handle, otherwise you will eventually brake the plastic handle. If you do break the original handle, almost any snow shovel plastic handle will work as a replacement. I use a beefed up & modified spade shovel for field hunting. I am normally a coin shooter so I dig plugs with a Lesche. On the home page you can click on some of the vendors and review the digging tools and shovels that they offer.

OP
OP
F

FurTrade

Greenie
Jun 14, 2015
Northern Canada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to T-Net, What pin pointer did you buy. It sense that your on a tight budget. I still use a little shovel I paid $13.00 for at the local hardware store. If you need to pry with these, then pull on the wooden part of the handle, otherwise you will eventually brake the plastic handle. If you do break the original handle, almost any snow shovel plastic handle will work as a replacement. I use a beefed up & modified spade shovel for field hunting. I am normally a coin shooter so I dig plugs with a Lesche. On the home page you can click on some of the vendors and review the digging tools and shovels that they offer.

Thanks Loco-Digger. I have worked out a budget to allow maybe one or two expensive tools. The pin pointer is a no name brand I picked up for almost free. It was originally used at a nightclub and they upgraded to a full walk-through machine. I'll upgrade it later on. Just glad I have one.

I have been contemplating getting Lesche because of all of the rave reviews and guaruntees of its inability to destruct I'm just not sure what would be right for me going out relic hunting in farm fields and small groves: a full on Lesche shovel or the Lesche hand digger. Unfortunately I cannot afford both. And I'm leaning towards to the shovel because it will likely be easier on my back.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :thumbsup:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Canada for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your country.

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wel-come aboard ... :hello2:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome FurTrade to the forum.

The Garrett pin pointer is a good working device and tough too! I recommend the Predator Raptor Model 31 digging tool, not cheap, but will last for some time. For the "big" jobs, woods and areas you need a larger tool the Piranha model 35 with rubber foot pegs is the way to go. I use both while relic hunting.

Regards,

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Summit County, CO. A really good digging tool if you can locate one is a U.S. Army bayonet. They're pretty much indestructible. I also have a little cheap gardening spade that has held up for about 10 years now. They sell two types at garden supply places. One is cheap thin metal that will bend the first time you use it. I got the thicker metal one and it will break before it bends. Cost about $6. If all else fails, I have a buddy that works for the city and he has access to backhoes and front end loaders, and he does owe me a favor or two.

OP
OP
F

FurTrade

Greenie
Jun 14, 2015
Northern Canada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm going to go for the Lesche digger with t-handle and then go to my local military surplus store and supplement with some American made hand tools. They're built like a tank and are usually dirt cheap!

BTW, I see a lot of Midwest guys on the forums, Ohio, PA and Michigan. I was born and raised in Northwest Ohio and hope to make my way back there for some detecting in future years.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FT I've used a military folding army shovel for relic hunting in fields and woods for 20+ years. You can find them at flea markets and Army Navy stores. But buy the old type. They have better metal and wooden handles. You can pick these up reasonable. I paid $10 for my last one at a flea market and didn't attempt to talk the guy down on price

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread