Newbie from Ohio. Metal Detector advice.

Adventure-Seeker

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2015
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've wanted to do metal detecting since I was a kid. Now I have the time and money to actually do it. Pretty excited. However I'm still a little unsure of what metal detector I should get. I've been seriously considering buying the AT Pro. It seems to be a good all around unit and doesn't cost a fortune and I like that I can use it in the water if needed. However I know there are lots of people on here with tons of experience with these and other machines. I will eventually work my way up to better equipment but for now I don't want to spend thousands especially since I'm just starting out. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks guys. Glad to be part of a group with like minded people.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Ohio for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wel-come aboard ... :thumbsup:

TheElementOfSand

Jul 19, 2012
Fort Wayne
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT E-series, Whites Beachhunter, Garrett Ace350, Garret 76'-77'Fortune Hunter, Cen-tech Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The at pro is an amazing machine, there's a ton of people who hunt with nothing else.

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my AT Pro its a great machine........I jumped right up to it after years of not detecting, that being said I really wish I would have started with like a Tek Gamma 6000 or a Tesoro Cibola mostly because of the cost, ebay these both run between 250-300 and are great machines. That would have afforded me the opportunity to jump to a 1500 dollar machine. Either way you will find you like the AT Pro but until you know your going to stick with it there typically isn't a hit reselling used machines as a 2nd or 3rd owner.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Adventure-Seeker,

Welcome to the forum!

The AT Pro may be a good choice for you, I have the Pro and Gold and use them for relic hunting old sites. If you live near a store that sells metal detectors, perhaps they can let you try one. The Pro has a small learning curve compared to other machines and as you stated can use it in the water. I believe it works better in the fresh water versus the salt, at least in my experience. So if you are hunting land and freshwater the AT Pro will be a great machine for you. If you are hunting the lower section of the beach and the salt water, other machines are available for this purpose. If you look at peoples information you will note that most have both water and land machines because most machines cannot do both well, as with everything, there are exceptions.

I wish you well in your detector search.

Best Regards,

Doc

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! A lot depends on where you are detecting and what targets you desire. The Garrett AT Pro is a very versatile detector that can ground balance out some ground mineralization, is waterproof to 9 feet, and has target ID and notch discrimination abilities. It's a great general purpose detector that is easy to learn and sensitive to gold and silver rings, coins and relics. Give me a call if I can answer some questions for you.

Wayne

(832) 928-9135

Garrett AT Pro - No Junk Package ? Metal Detecting Stuff

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Adventure-Seeker

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2015
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help guys. I guess I'll go ahead and move forward with the AT pro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions