Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2015
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Gang,

Just a quick note to say hello and give you some background. I just purchased a CTX 3030 (a considerable step up from my last detector) with three coils (6", 11", and 17"). Although I have owned two detectors in my past, this is by far the nicest unit I have purchased. I spent most of my time in Arizona with few local opportunities for searching. I moved to NC a year ago as a Professor in the UNC system, and I happen to live in an area where there was some civil war activity. I have 22 acres of land to search, and a home owned by a friend of mine once belonged to a civil war general. They have given me permission to search on their property.

I am a complete novice to serious metal detecting and look forward to learning from the folks on this website. In part, I chose the CTX 3030 based on reviews from people on this forum. It seemed to be a popular choice.

That's enough for now. I look forward to interacting with everyone.

Best,

Joe

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum Joe,

Good Luck in your 22 acre hunt!

Regards,

Doc

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Joe, welcome to TNet.

What area of North Carolina are you hailing from?

The best way to learn the CTX is to just turn it on and begin slowly sweeping. Listen to the sounds - dig the repeatable high tones. Don't look at the VDI until you think you have a good target. Do this for a month. And then you can begin studying the beast with effort. Certainly read the user manual twice through. I'm new with the CTX myself, but used the ETrac for two years prior to using the CTX.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard Joe! Take a look at Sub-Forums: North Carolina for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

OP
OP
J

Joe West

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2015
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live near a small town called Laurinburg. Thanks for the suggestions on using the CTX. It has not arrived yet, but I will try to find the users guide on the web.

Joe, welcome to TNet.

What area of North Carolina are you hailing from?

The best way to learn the CTX is to just turn it on and begin slowly sweeping. Listen to the sounds - dig the repeatable high tones. Don't look at the VDI until you think you have a good target. Do this for a month. And then you can begin studying the beast with effort. Certainly read the user manual twice through. I'm new with the CTX myself, but used the ETrac for two years prior to using the CTX.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Metal Detectors - Minelab Metal Detectors - for metal detecting, gold prospecting, treasure hunting, pulse induction and countermine operations.

You'll have to register with Minelab to fully get in sync using Xchange2 anyway. There's a forum there with plenty info & tips, but on the website they do try to push you into registering with green backs. It won't impact you with Xchange2.

You're way South of me, so planning outings would be tough.

Good luck here! Education lies within these forums :)

Plus, mostly a good bunch of people with common interests! Keep the faith!

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and good luck!

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi Gang,

Just a quick note to say hello and give you some background. I just purchased a CTX 3030 (a considerable step up from my last detector) with three coils (6", 11", and 17"). Although I have owned two detectors in my past, this is by far the nicest unit I have purchased. I spent most of my time in Arizona with few local opportunities for searching. I moved to NC a year ago as a Professor in the UNC system, and I happen to live in an area where there was some civil war activity. I have 22 acres of land to search, and a home owned by a friend of mine once belonged to a civil war general. They have given me permission to search on their property.

I am a complete novice to serious metal detecting and look forward to learning from the folks on this website. In part, I chose the CTX 3030 based on reviews from people on this forum. It seemed to be a popular choice.

That's enough for now. I look forward to interacting with everyone.

Best,

Joe

Welcome. I am a professor as well.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

Herd9

Greenie
Jun 30, 2015
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Joe,
Welcome to the forum. I'm about 1.5 hrs from you in High Point. Sounds like you've got some pretty good places to test out your CTX. Good luck!

OP
OP
J

Joe West

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2015
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! I am spending time trying to come up to speed by reading as much as I can until my CTX arrives. It turns out that I bought from Bart, not knowing he was a sponsor here. I was very happy with his pre-sale assistance.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome Joe West, you'll like it here, I know I do. A lot of knowledgeable people with experiences to share.

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wel-come to the fun house ... :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet, the original and oldest treasure forum on the net.... Have fun, if you have questions don't be shy, just ask!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions