From the wilds of north Jersey!

Sherpat

Feb 3, 2016
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys! My name's Tom, and it's nice to meet you all.

I live a the very top of NJ, in the middle of a state forest right on the NY line. I've wanted a metal detector for years, as our house is surrounded by 30,000 acres of woods that were the site of Revolutionary War encampments, battles in the border war between NJ and NY, 17th century Dutch settlers before that, pre-Columbian Indians before them, and god know what else. Probably alien landings.

I've been walking the trails of those woods since we moved here in 1999 and always wondered what kind of artifacts might be lying right beneath my feet from centuries past. There are numerous crumbling rock walls - boundaries between long abandoned properties and fields - that run hundreds of yards through what is now thick forest just outside my door. There must be all sorts of interesting historical objects (I always imagine, anyway) scattered among the scree.

Knowing I've always been curious (since I yammer on about it constantly) my wife broke down and got me a Tesoro Compadre for Christmas this year. Probably to both shut me up and get me out of the house.

And it worked! I've done both now several times, after first getting familiar with the machine, and reading up on some detecting rules in general. On my first day out I found....a TON of beer cans. Sheesh. I gotta learn to discriminate. Oh, and a ring! A silver mens ring with a CZ center stone. Not worth much, but it looks brand new - my wife thinks some girl got it for her boyfriend and was going to give it to him in the woods at the overlook where I found it. But he pissed her off and she chucked it instead. Sounds good to me. It was down about 4 inches under grassed-over dirt, so I'm betting that little drama played out a good 20 years ago or so.

Ring 4.jpg

One thing I do have to check: local laws about hunting on state land, particularly with regards to archaeological finds. I know on the far side of our park there is an officially delineated and sanctified ancient Native American burial site that sees regular gatherings, so that's out of bounds. But outside of that, I'm not sure if there are any verboten areas. Gotta look into that.

Anyway, it's nice to meet you all and I look forward to scouring all the forums with the typical zeal of a New Convert. Sorry I rambled on here, but...ah, never mind. I'm not sorry at all. Just excited to start this new hobby :blob7::blob7:

Tom

OP
OP
Sherpat

Sherpat

Feb 3, 2016
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks very much, vpnavy! Much appreciated :)

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Tom from Rockland county, N.Y. Both Ringwood and Harriman parks are off limits to detectors. You can get a permit for Harriman but it is only good for the public bathing beaches in the park. One easy way to get around beer cans is to lift your detector up off the ground over the signal. If your machine still howls loud 6-8" over the ground you are likely over a large shallow target such as a can. Have a ball with your new machine, detecting gets addicting for many of us. Nice ring!! Many folks hunt years before finding a nice silver ring so you're off to a great start.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Sherpat

Sherpat

Feb 3, 2016
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Tom from Rockland county, N.Y. Both Ringwood and Harriman parks are off limits to detectors. You can get a permit for Harriman but it is only good for the public bathing beaches in the park. One easy way to get around beer cans is to lift your detector up off the ground over the signal. If your machine still howls loud 6-8" over the ground you are likely over a large shallow target such as a can. Have a ball with your new machine, detecting gets addicting for many of us. Nice ring!! Many folks hunt years before finding a nice silver ring so you're off to a great start.

Hey, thanks for both the welcome and the info about Harriman and Ringwood, gunsil! I'm familiar with them, and both were on my list of eventual destinations. It's good to know these details from a local. Thanks for letting me know :)

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey welcome from Montreal, you sure have interesting places to hunt. Can't wait to see your discoveries. Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
Sherpat

Sherpat

Feb 3, 2016
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from NE Ohio.

Engine

Thank you very much! (I have a good friend in Guernsey County. Beautiful part of the country...I should get him into this hobby :) )

OP
OP
Sherpat

Sherpat

Feb 3, 2016
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey welcome from Montreal, you sure have interesting places to hunt. Can't wait to see your discoveries. Happy Hunting!

Thank you very much, Bill. I can't wait to see 'em either!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread