vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: California for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Welcome from Salinas, CA. What city are you in ?

And no doubt you have read and understand the rules for all CA hunters, right ? They're quite simple: You send me 30% of all your finds (I accept paypal). Now get busy and find some good stuff ! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
M

Mike56

Apr 23, 2016
Stockton
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol thanks guys. You all sound like a great group. I'm in Stockton, my son lives just north of me. Right now we're all busy with seeing my youngest son off to Kuwait. He gets to go to The Rock for a year. He will after that deployment go to the UK and finish out his Air Force career. So it will be quite a while till we see him and his little family. He and his wife just had my first grand daughter!! Next time we leave the country it will be to see them.

Speaking of which...I would love to hunt over there, but the laws are probably not favorable...

Last edited:

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome. Rule 1 dont get stuck in Lodi again CCR :icon_thumleft:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mike,
Best of luck to you and your oldest son doing metal detecting; and especially to your deployed youngest.
Please give him a 'thank you for your service' from us at Treasurenet.
Don......(USAF-'63-'69)

OP
OP
M

Mike56

Apr 23, 2016
Stockton
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,
Best of luck to you and your oldest son doing metal detecting; and especially to your deployed youngest.
Please give him a 'thank you for your service' from us at Treasurenet.
Don......(USAF-'63-'69)

Thank you Don.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
....I'm in Stockton...

Ahh, ok. There's a park we un-fondly call "wino cap park" there. At Stainslaus x Jefferson. It was a very blighted park back in the 1970s/80s (needle junkies, winos, homeless encampments, etc...). The city came in and cleaned all that up. But it's still a nearly solid bed of wino screw caps and junk. However, back in the late 1800s, that was the upscale high end part of Stockton. So if someone cares to try to get underneath the junk, there's actually choice old silver in there.

Guys used to "snipe around" the junk. Eg.: small coils, going real slow, high disc. , going slow, and passing the cross-hairs where wino-caps show up, etc... And others tried a "strip-mine" technique which is to grid off an area 6 ft. square, and litterally dig every signal out. You'd eventually be rewarded with barbers and a seated or two. But again, very nerve racking.

So the crowning glory of b@llsy hunting was: A few friends of mine, during rainy moist season, would actually go out there with flat shovels, at 5am on a Sunday , or a federal holiday, and do the following: Cut out squares of turf, a foot or two across. Such that they can get underneath them w/o damage, and carefully lay on a tarp. They'd do 10 or so such cut-outs, so that it essentially became like they were "rolling back the turf", or "creating their own scrape". When they had a mattress size area dug out to 5" deep, they'd stop and detect it. Then when done, merely put the grass back in place, stomp it down, and ..... no harm done! Couldn't even tell they'd been there.

Naturally you could only do that in very moist times. And naturally they chose ... uh ... "discreet" times. But it paid off :)

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet Mike! As you can tell this is a great family of people here on the forum and if you have any questions about MDing don't hesitate to ask.
Thank you for your family's service.
Best of luck out there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread