Seif5034

Greenie
May 22, 2016
Chunky, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Harbor Freight (Centech?) 9 function
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all. Brand new to the hobby and loving it thus far. I got a Harbor Freight 9 function a few months ago as a gift. I haven't had much chance to use it until now. I'm currently in Panama City Beach, Florida and having a blast in the dry sand. I tried getting into wet sand and the gulf a little bit there is no hope. Way to many false signals to be practical. I've hunted a little around the hotel, but plan to hit the busier parts of the beach tonight.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to TNET Seif5034 & wish you many great finds while out dirt fishing- this hobby does get addictive.

Texas ED

OP
OP
S

Seif5034

Greenie
May 22, 2016
Chunky, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It sure is fun. I already want a better quality detector. I just know there is jewelry in the water that I can't pick. It burns me up. I think what I'll have to do is hunt the dry sand until I find enough to upgrade or whenever this thing breaks. Whichever comes first. Maybe I can find a decent used detector somewhere

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Mississippi for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet. Just practice with your detector and be glad you have one. You can always upgrade later. Good luck on your hunts...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome.PNG Don't disc out pull tabs as 90% of gold rings would be disc out also. Good luck.

OP
OP
S

Seif5034

Greenie
May 22, 2016
Chunky, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks VP. I'll check it out. It'd be nice to go out with a group and do a sweep.

Austin, you are right. Even with this little harbor freight unit I am having fun and digging targets. This weekend I was pulling out bottle caps about 12-15" deep in dry sand!! I never expected it to go that deep. I am pleasantly surprised. However, I do want to look into some popular modifications on this thing. Maybe a better (non-metallic) shaft and a better handle. The factory handle is not comfortable when swinging for long hunts. Good battery life (I hunted quite a few hrs this weekend and haven't changed the batteries yet) and evidently pretty powerful. For the price, I like it.

Sandman, I remember reading or hearing that somewhere. This weekend I had the MD on full sensitivity with no disc. Found a good handful of clad and some junk jewelry, but nothing good. Oh well. It'll come in time. Just gotta keep swinging.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome aboard TNet! Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

-Dig everything in the dry sand, you never know with jewelry!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread