Bob Blaylock

Greenie
Jun 6, 2016
38°29′ North 121°26′ West
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Fun Finder
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was referred to this forum, a few weeks a go, in a thread on one of your sister forums.

I'm signing up, just now, because I had a question which seemed better to ask here, than on any other forum on which I was previously active. That'll be a different thread, after I finish this posting.

For no rational reason, a metal detector is something I've wanted since I was a child, but could never justify the cost of buying one. But as luck would have it, one turned up a few months ago at a thrift store where I was working at the time, priced at $10 (which meant $8 with my employee discount). It even had the original box, and user's manual. I couldn't find this exact model on the manufacturer's web site, but it appears to be nearly identical to their current bottom-of-the-line model, the Bounty Hunter Junior, with the only apparent difference being that mine has a different name, “Bounty Hunter Fun Finder”. A WalMart price tag on the box indicates that this was originally sold there for $49.96.

ZSC_5901_1600x1200.jpg

So far, I've found mostly just junk, with some occasional things of some possible value or interest. Perhaps later, in this thread, I'll post some of my more interesting finds so far.

Last edited:

metaldetkid

Apr 15, 2016
Fayetteville NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, and AT Pro, Ace 400
PINPOINTER: Garrett propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even a broken clock is right twice a day. You just never know what you will find. Upgrade to a better one once your hooked !!! Good Luck !!!

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the party. Anything is a good start, and all will have a different learning curve. Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:--the addiction will start shortly :icon_thumright:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet. :thumbsup: Enjoy yourself, if you hang around here, you'll learn a lot and probably out grow that detector in a short while. It's a hobby to some and an obsession to others. I learned so much, searching forums for info when I first joined. GL & HH

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet. :thumbsup: Enjoy yourself, if you hang around here, you'll learn a lot and probably out grow that detector in a short while. It's a hobby to some and an obsession to others. I learned so much, searching forums for info when I first joined. GL & HH

OP
OP
Bob Blaylock

Bob Blaylock

Greenie
Jun 6, 2016
38°29′ North 121°26′ West
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Fun Finder
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even a broken clock is right twice a day. You just never know what you will find. Upgrade to a better one once your [sic] hooked !!! Good Luck !!!

I seem to be hooked already. Alas, my present situation is such that I cannot easily spend much money on anything that I don't really need. This one will have to do for now.

I note that the same company that made this one, has models costing several hundreds of dollars, and going up to a model that is just a bit over a thousand dollars. That will have to wait.

I wonder how much better higher-end models really are.

I had no idea what to expect when I started with this one; I imagined that I would be mostly finding stuff at the surface, or barely-covered. My first time out with it, I didn't bring any digging tools with me, as I didn't expect to need them. I ended up using sticks and rocks to dig, being surprised that much of what I was finding was at least a few inches below the surface.

Now, I take these tools with me, along with a bucket.

attachment.php

The three-pronged thing is from the same thrift store where I got the metal detector. The three-pronged thing is what I use for the vast majority of the digging that I do in connection with this hobby.

The trowel, I bought brand new, just for this purpose, but I have so far not ended up using it very much.

The rock hammer, I have had for at least a few decades, and it's what I end up using when the ground is too hard for the three-pronged thing. It's a much more powerful tool for digging and breaking things, than one would expect just by seeing it. If I were determined enough, I could tear through a brick wall or a concrete slab with it, though doing so would be no small effort.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread