First post.... Same old questions....

Fckwalm

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2016
South Florida (hunting in NE Pennsylvania)
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 4000D, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my first post. My grandfather introduced me to metal detecting. Using a Whites coinmaster 2000 (or 3 or 4, not sure) I've found a whole lot of "nothing"... Horse shoes, barbed wire, nails, and a toy gun are the extent of my finds. I'm a little older (32) and my grandfather has passed but I still love metal detecting when I can make it to our family vacation spot in PA.

I currently have some gift card money on Amazon, and a larger gift card that is a credit card, so I am ready to make the plunge into a much better detector.... I've heard rumors of gold in PA (Our place is in Susquehanna county) and that is adding to my decision in my first metal detector purchase. Im looking to spend around $1000 but don't want to hit higher than $1500.

I've been looking at whites (as my grandfather sold them for a short time), but looking at different brands. I think I am between the Whites MXT Pro or the Garrett AT Pro, but not sure if I should be looking at something different. Our property is mainly hard land but we have creeks on the property so there is the possibility of water detecting if it's feasible or plausible.

So in the end... North east PA detecting, around the 500-1000 range what should I pick up? Thanks!!!!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet from Texas. Detector choice is up to you, but the first thing I would buy is a shovel and a pan to work those creeks and see if you can turn up a little color. I have heard a lot of good things about the AT Pro, but White's is excellent too. Either way, good luck...

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard from another resident of the great state of PA! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Pennsylvania for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to PA.
Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
F

Fckwalm

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2016
South Florida (hunting in NE Pennsylvania)
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 4000D, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like I missed out on that ebay listing. Things have been a bit hectic lately and havent had much time to do anything. I'll check out that PA sub-forum and see if i can find some suggestions for the region. I picked up a shovel, pan, and pin pointer so ill have to give the creek's a shot (we have two running through our property). Thanks!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Welcome to TNet! I'd search the web for a good buy on the ETrac kit like the one I just bought for $1400. Works dandy on tiny gold, too.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
still available

Fisher F19 Metal Detector Plus Headphones and Bag | eBay

he is on Vacation till the 27th, Then away again on the 30th to July 11
so because he only has that 3 day window in between. 27,28,29 so it won't be listed on Ebay again till after he is back from the 2nd trip.

The last deal was
Price:
US $549.99

or Best offer (within reason of Course) He must recoup Ebay fees & shipping .
if you go through Ebay.

If bought through Me I would want a Postal Money Order,
Or a delay till a Check passes.

My nephew has PayPal so that would be faster.
I'm Not sure how Gift cards work for getting Cash or Money Orders, or using them at Paypal

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread