New Member From CT ( Hello )

gixxer007

Greenie
Aug 17, 2016
CT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just joined this forum from good old CT here and wanted to say hello to all. I am new to metal detecting and have been doing some research and looking around as to what detector I should or will buy. I have a hand full of locations that I can or have access to around my area and other CT locations. Most are private land areas that either we own or I know who owns them as well. Couple areas connect to wooded areas with lots of old stone walls and foundations near them.

I seem to be stuck on Whites detector's only based on what I have seen others using at local locations around here. The one I am leaning toward so far is the VX3 detector but have not made up my mind fully yet lol. Would like to buy a used in good shape detector with all the basic accessories so that I do not have to start with a big cost in the beginning.
Any advice that you may have would be great as i am searching all over the forum now on related topics to these and other detectors. Or if anyone has one for sale that may work out for me also please.

Thank you and I look forward to getting to know everyone here and hope I can share some good find stories real soon.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Connecticut for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, New York! :occasion14:

I really don't like Whites detectors. They cost too much, they are heavy, and they are no better than other detectors on the market. I use Tesoro detectors and have had a lot of success with them here on the East Coast. Take a hard look at the Tesoro Vaquero - Good Luck!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasurenet! The Whites VX3 is a great detector. There are a lot of choices in that price range. Fisher just reduced the price on the Fisher F75 by several hundred $$.Feel free to give me a call if I can answer your questions. We do have some used detectors in stock.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello gixxer007 from Massachusetts!

If you are leaning towards the White's Vx3, IMHO, I would go all the way and purchase the V3i. I have one and it's a very nice machine with a learning curve and many adjustments if you are into "Techie" stuff.

There are also many other machines in that price range or less that will serve you well. Do your research and ask people why White's works the best in the area.

Some of my machines (not in any order):

1. Tesoro Tejon (I use for relic hunting)
2. Garrett AT Pro (Nice mid-range machine - general purpose)
3. Minelab FBS products and Xterra 705 - recently obtained a cheap machine...WOW what a machine it is!
4. Whites DFX (can purchase for around $ 400 dollars used) and V3i

If you buy new, please buy from an authorized dealer (I have bought many things from dealers listed on TreasureNet with great success.) and call them on the phone for the best price.

Regards,

Doc

Last edited:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm flying into White Plains tomorrow (8/18) and staying in New Haven through the weekend (working, with some MD time)

Hopefully I'll get some time Friday and Saturday afternoon for some hunting.

Give me a PM if anybody that way would like to meet up.

Gixxer007, if you are in that area I'd be happy to show you how the CTX 3030 operates.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A warm Canadian welcome, I use a Minelab CTX 3030 (not a cheap unit) and find good to great stuff here amongst all the trash and not too old of history... I say whites are good, a bit pricy but somepeople LOVE THEM, and that's what matters. if you can make it work for you , great.

AT Pro's are good.
Ace series are okay
Fisher F75s are nice, Tesoro are awesome... Its all what you want to get out of it.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm flying into White Plains tomorrow (8/18) and staying in New Haven through the weekend (working, with some MD time)

Hopefully I'll get some time Friday and Saturday afternoon for some hunting.

Give me a PM if anybody that way would like to meet up.

Gixxer007, if you are in that area I'd be happy to show you how the CTX 3030 operates.

Sent you a PM with my Cell Number! :occasion14:

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome from Nashville! I have used White's detectors and they're very straight forward machines.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have some awesome hunts ahead. Good Luck, and don't forget to post up your finds. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread