Hi. I'm Beth From Ohio. Is it a rock, glass, or a priceless gem?

packratBeth

Tenderfoot
Sep 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone thanks for welcoming me the group. My husband and I are packrats and save a lot of stuff. We picked this up recently. Does anyone know what it is? Thanks and nice meeting you. IMG_2512.JPG IMG_2513.JPG IMG_2514.JPG

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Beth !

repost & ask here [h=2]Rocks/Gems[/h]
if you haven't yet

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, New York! :occasion14:

Looks like Quartz Crystal. Nice piece!

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very Large Diamond. Welcome to the party. From a fellow packrat [according to my wife]. Good Luck on finding the good stuff.

Lucky Eddie

Feb 9, 2010
Don't know if this helps any Beth.

Stone1.jpg

LuckyEddieGemSml1_zpsdxo5k2ua.jpg

I found this piece of quartz crystal in a rock hole in a river where coal is mined.

Initially i thought it might be diamond coming from an area where coal is common. I tested it against a piece of glass and it scratched the glass so that made me suspect even more that it might be diamond because it was harder than the glass.

Then I had a jeweler test it with a diamond tester and she proclaimed it to be quartz.

So then I had someone facet it anyway & to be honest i am damned if i know why people spend so much $ on diamonds!.

220px-Diamond_face_trigons_scale.jpg

If you were able to get a 20X jewelers loupe, and look closely at the piece you have there - if it were diamond - supposedly you would be able to see these small triangle type lattice lines. I believed that I could see just that - triangle type lattice structure... BUT the jewelers diamond tester proved otherwise.

It's actually quite tough to be able to identify such things without lab equip to test specific gravity or electron scanning microscope or mass spectrometer etc.

Good luck with it.

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glass leftover from glass manufacturing. Went to school in Morgantown, WV and we would fish the river there. The old glass plant dumped their leftover glass on the banks of the river. Not sure what you call leftover glass from the glass oven. It would break up into pieces of all sizes. Many colors. When my wife went with me, she would collect it.

That's my guess. :)

OP
OP
P

packratBeth

Tenderfoot
Sep 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone and thank you for all the interest and input. I don't know if I will ever be sure what it is but a very large diamond sure would be nice! Not likely though. Thanks again and happy hunting and collecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread