New member with mystery buffalo nickel

Caddywompas

Nov 12, 2016
CA
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. I am a big time rookie when it comes to the value of old coins. Hope you can help me here.

My Dad recently passed away. He was an 80 year old retired Army Lt Col. He had a very old trunk with many coins including what looks to be a 1920 Buffalo nickel. It appears to be all copper. I can't seem to find any information. Even local coin dealers don't seem to know about it. How can I find out how rare and if this is really a copper 1920 buffalo nickel?

Forgot to mention it was in a velvet bag with other Buffalo nickels in the regular bright nickel color and appears to be the same size in all dimensions.

008.JPG

009.JPG

014.JPG

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never seen a copper one but have seen some really exposed to the elements or chemicals that looks coppery. Hopefully an expert on here can help a little better than I. Welcome to the party and Good Luck

OP
OP
C

Caddywompas

Nov 12, 2016
CA
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I am not sure how to tell if it is copper or tarnished. My Dad probably had for 50 years in a trunk and knowing him he didn't did it out of the ground. I'm hoping anyway.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
metal_detector.gif
2nd - Sorry to hear about your Dad.
coin_collection.gif
3rd - Take a look at 1920 FIVE CENTS - Struck in Copper. Now - 1920 Buffalo Nickel states: Substantially high mintage figures definitely help to keep prices lower for coin collectors, who welcome the fact that each of three 1920 issues can be had for around $10 or less, in Good-4 at least. In fact, the 1920 Philadelphia issue can be bought for less than $2 in Good-4. You’ll need to shell out around $9 for a 1920-D in Good-4 while a 1920-S will set you back only about $5 for an example in similar condition.

Last edited:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
metal_detector.gif
2nd - Sorry to hear about your Dad.
coin_collection.gif
3rd - Take a look at 1920 FIVE CENTS - Struck in Copper. Now - 1920 Buffalo Nickel states: Substantially high mintage figures definitely help to keep prices lower for coin collectors, who welcome the fact that each of three 1920 issues can be had for around $10 or less, in Good-4 at least. In fact, the 1920 Philadelphia issue can be bought for less than $2 in Good-4. You’ll need to shell out around $9 for a 1920-D in Good-4 while a 1920-S will set you back only about $5 for an example in similar condition.

Thanks Vpnavy even I didn't know that.....You learn something new every other day around here.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Learning new stuff I Frequent Here HH Chug

OP
OP
C

Caddywompas

Nov 12, 2016
CA
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you from Sonoma County CA. About one hour North of San Francisco.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts!

OP
OP
C

Caddywompas

Nov 12, 2016
CA
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had it weighed. 5.06 grams. Any thoughts?

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
All of the buffalos we find in the ground are brown or red. Our 5 cent coin is made from nickel and copper. That combination of metals tends to "corrode" when left in the elements. The dug ones are usually rough and slightly pitted from deterioration. Here is a relatively good one from the dirt. Yours appears to have the correct color, but looks too smooth to have been outside. I believe it is a regular buffalo, but I'm not 100% sure.

Welcome to TNet brother!

Attachments

• IMG_20161113_173549_585-1.jpg
    IMG_20161113_173549_585-1.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread