Newbie guy from San Diego

wygold

May 21, 2016
Chula Vista, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Dual Pack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I'm just a newbie in the metal detector hobby. I'm from the Eastlake area of Chula Vista just southeast of downtown San Diego. I've been watching a bunch of YouTube videos lately just thinking about how so much fun I had prospecting for gold in Montana and Idaho back in the 90's. So I've been watching Robert Furgenson's YouTube channel and thought how much fun it would be to get back into the prospecting but in a different type this time.

When I was prospecting for gold I was using the standard Garrett super sluice 15" gold pan and a Keene sluice box. Most of my diggings were at GPAA claims and ever since I stop being a member that's when I stop panning for gold. I've seen guys swing a MD at a local park or at the beach in San Diego, but nothing even came to mind about doing something like that. It was Robert Furgenson who sparked my interest into MD. Once I saw him trade gold and some cash for a AT Pro MD and then showing some of the cool finds he was getting. I thought "heck I can probably do something like that.". Now I also know that this just doesn't happen overnight either. Practice is key to accomplish anything you put your mind to it.

So with the help of the forum community, that I can possibly get a hang on MD, were to go and I hope to fulfill my bucket list. I ended up buying a Minelab X-Terra 705 Dual Pack on amazon and I'm glad I got it when I did, because the price jumped up another $250 to $850. The price alone was one of the reasons I decided to choose this machine and second I really didn't want a cheap machine that wouldn't perform at all. For me it's a starter machine and once I get the swing of things(no pun intended) that I can upgrade to a much more powerful machine.

I hope to meet some of you in the future.
wygold

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: California for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome from Massachusetts! :hello:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma