Newbie Trying to Learn Here! Thanks for the great forum

joshbrown

Dec 15, 2016
USA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys!

I've fallen in love to metal detecting. Decided to pick it up as a serious hobby now but I don't really know much about it.

I've occasionally had the opportunity to detect once with some of my friends and it was a very memorable experience. It was amazing.

I don't have my own detector yet. Just borrowed one from a friend.

Before I buy one, I would like to learn about it as much I could. Expect lots of questions from me and hopefully I can return the favor in the future not to the people who are ahead of me but to the newcomers who will be asking questions too in the near future.

Thanks ahead for all the help!

Josh

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the addiction! :occasion14:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard Josh! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts! :occasion14:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome Josh.

Warning, warning warning! Don't get so wrapped up in the hobby where you have 5 different detectors and your budget is in the hole.

This is a very peaceful and calming hobby for me. I get to "go away" for a while, and the recoveries accumulate. Time and timing are things you are faced with. How much can you get out, and where will you go? This is one of the few hobbies which will eventually pay for itself.

Don't jump on your needs and buy big. Keep your sensibility and upgrade only for specific needs. It's a fact, if you buy cheap and love the hobby, actually practice the hobby, you will upgrade.

Think about your needs, your dreams, and only upgrade once. It takes that first detector to get you out, and if it is a fever, then do it intelligently.

Spoken by a guy who has spend some real bucks on detectors.

OP
OP
J

joshbrown

Dec 15, 2016
USA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Josh.

Warning, warning warning! Don't get so wrapped up in the hobby where you have 5 different detectors and your budget is in the hole.

This is a very peaceful and calming hobby for me. I get to "go away" for a while, and the recoveries accumulate. Time and timing are things you are faced with. How much can you get out, and where will you go? This is one of the few hobbies which will eventually pay for itself.

Don't jump on your needs and buy big. Keep your sensibility and upgrade only for specific needs. It's a fact, if you buy cheap and love the hobby, actually practice the hobby, you will upgrade.

Think about your needs, your dreams, and only upgrade once. It takes that first detector to get you out, and if it is a fever, then do it intelligently.

Spoken by a guy who has spend some real bucks on detectors.

What do you think is the best detector for beginners like me? My budget is more or less $500 for a decent starter type. Thanks for the reminders:)

Welcome to Tnet,,
We all started in the BEGINNING.
Ask lots of questions.

I will for sure > LOL

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
What do you think is the best detector for beginners like me? My budget is more or less $500 for a decent starter type. Thanks for the reminders:)

Good morning Josh,

When I returned to the hobby I picked up an Ace250. Cheap, and I absolutely hated it. So I gave it to my cousin trying to get him into the hobby. The first time he used it, I was there. His first target was a clad quarter, and his second target was a 10k gold ring. Since then he's sitting at 6 pieces of gold jewelry found on beaches. Meanwhile I have several thousand dollars in detectors at present and haven't struck gold since 1987.

Me personally, I don't mind the expenditure since I do have the fever - I wanted, and I got what I wanted.

I'd go with an Ace if I were you. You'll find out whether this is a hobby you'll fall in love with, and if you'll put the time in meriting a more expensive piece of machinery!

There are other detectors in the same price range, but I'm not qualified to comment on them.

Another option is to keep up to date on the classified ads on TNet - treasure related for sale forums. I've made probably 20 purchases from there myself.

Tradertom

Jul 20, 2016
South Central Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP DEUS, AT PRO plus several older detector going back 45 years.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the T NET. lots of info here. Look around and there are reviews dedicated to different brands of detectors. You can learn a lot from them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread