A Rookie from Charlotte, N.C.

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, 5"x8" coils for both. Whites PinPointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,'

I just joined the forum after I purchased a new MD. After watching numerous videos, reading many forums and researching multitudes of customer reviews and comparison reviews I finally decided my limited budget would go towards the new Garrett Ace 400. I figure I will start with this one and possibly upgrade in the future if I get the hang of this sport. Now what I need is a lot of help. So I hope you all can put up with me and give me some much needed assistance.

I am a retired firefighter and live in Charlotte, NC. I still work as a sign installer for a Charlotte firm. I ride a Goldwing Motorcycle and enjoy photography as well as shooting at the range. I need a hobby so here I am! LOL

Thanks folk!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumright:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet,,
Garrett is an excellent company that really stands by their product.
I ride a HD Road King and use it for getting from hunting site to hunting site.
Ask lots of questions and enjoy yourself.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum Retired Fire from another Retired Firefighter. You picked both a great hobby and a Garrett MD to begin with. Garrett makes a great MD and the Garrett Co. Is second to none in customer service and service after the sale. Best of luck to you. What type of hunting will you be doing?

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Welcome!

At the top of the page you'll find a tab "The Hunt Starts Here." Click on the menu and you'll find quite a bit of useful information to help get you started.

The supporting vendors' websites also have good information. For example, there is the Kellyco "Q&A" with lots of tips and ways to get started.

The most important thing? Get out and do it!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Gastonia! Don't let that Ace 400 fool you, I hunt with a young man that swings a Ace 400 and I can tell you, that machine will find the goodies!

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum Retired Fire from another Retired Firefighter. You picked both a great hobby and a Garrett MD to begin with. Garrett makes a great MD and the Garrett Co. Is second to none in customer service and service after the sale. Best of luck to you. What type of hunting will you be doing?

Hi, I'm glad to see other Firefighters in this. I appreciate the welcome. I will be hunting anything that I can find but relics are what I love to find. Coins are a bonus for me, especially if I can bring them up to be enjoyed by others. Just fun for me. Thanks.

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!

At the top of the page you'll find a tab "The Hunt Starts Here." Click on the menu and you'll find quite a bit of useful information to help get you started.

The supporting vendors' websites also have good information. For example, there is the Kellyco "Q&A" with lots of tips and ways to get started.

The most important thing? Get out and do it!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Thank you so much. I will definitely check it out now.

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Gastonia! Don't let that Ace 400 fool you, I hunt with a young man that swings a Ace 400 and I can tell you, that machine will find the goodies!

Thank you, and maybe we will cross paths some time. Good hunting.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: North Carolina for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet sir!

There is a metal detecting club in Matthews. You might want to check out. It has been slow, due to the holidays, but should kick back into gear in January. I will drop you a PM.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts!

chrononauts

Dec 30, 2016
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The main thing is not to be discouraged, put in a bunch of hours with your machine and you will definitely start finding stuff! Welcome to this crazy hobby!

Lowman

Jan 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been here 3 seconds so not sure I should welcome you but I will anyway because you are from Charlotte! Welcome! Maybe we will also cross paths in the great search I hope to say "Hi" sometime...

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of former, current, and retired fire fighters here. You'll fit in just fine. Welcome aboard!

FiremanBill

Greenie
Jan 17, 2017
Hondo, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE 300, AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just joined and read your bio. My wife and I were laughing, she said if it said "from Texas" it could be my bio. We have all the same interests. I retired from Champaign, Illinois FD and worked 33 for the State Fire Academy. The Garrett is a great machine. Spend a day and dig every target; every one. Pay attention to what the machine displays before you dig and you will learn what it is saying. History awaits, right beneath your feet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread