Hi, my name is Gonefishn, I am a metal detecting addict because....

Gonefishn

Banned
Dec 15, 2016
Shenandoah valley
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been silently following Tnet for a year, mostly to compare items I've found to identify them-this seems to be a strong community with a lot of knowledge.

In 2016 I was approached by one of my professional contacts, who inherited a couple hundred acres passed down from the early 1700s. I told him I fish (no plastics-live caught bait only), I never thought of taking up metal detecting-but I sucked up the $600, got the AT Pro, after the first day-I haven't been fishing since. The property owner knew what I would find, though he didn't tell me what he knew until the second day. The first day turned up 1 Enfield bullet, 1 pewter roundball, 4 flat buttons, a cleaver (big ass knife), and 1 draft horseshoe (among others). I have carefully worked in a grid pattern and so far have covered only 5 acres while skipping tons of 'iron' and learning how to use the machine-

So far I've found 1 union general service (waterbury) eagle button, over a dozen flat buttons, 4 Gardener bullets, 1 dropped three ringer, 1 dropped 2 Ringer, 2 carved bullets (fishing weights), a pewter game piece, a "president" suspender buckle, the tip to a sword/recurved saber, 17 roundballs (some pewter) and just incase someone actually read all this----2 buffalo nickels, 2 indian head pennies (1887/190?), a 1903 Barber Half Dollar (found 2 days ago, I literally fell back onto my keester and had difficulty breathing)- and my favorite, an arrowhead from the early archaic period(1,200-10,000BC)-checked out by UVA and the Director of Archaeology of the State of Virginia. None of the above might be "treasure"-but pretty awesome local stuff.

So there is my introduction to metal detecting, all I said is true. I have learned far more than how to dig a hole-and I will forever be changed. If anyone is up for taking a look, I have a couple things I don't know what they are-a possible civil war dog tag, some kind of oval brass buckle, and hopefully a part to an artillery shell...Unless someone can tell me how to post pictures?

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same story all my fishing buddies think I lost my mind.My polls have dust on them and I live outside New Orleans. Although I did go fishing last week with a charter captain friend of my....he had to drag me. I'm telling you I am obsessed. You are so lucky to have the honor to detect such a property. My earliest find is a 1829 Spanish Mexican 8 Reales and I found that in the Historical District in my town. In between the sidewalk and the street in front of a lawyers office. lol I gotta do what I gotta do. I wish I had such a wonderful opportunity as you. Learn how to post pictures so we can see those finds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard Gonefishn! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Virginia for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
metal_detector.gif
You asked about posting pictures - take a look at [HOW TO VIDEO] Upload/Attach/Center/Delete images in posts (Mar 27, 2012). You can find a wealth of "How To's" on: Forum > TreasureNet > HELP

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the addiction from Michigan! You are in a great area to explore!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet....sounds like you got quite the honey hole for finding Civil swag....
To post pics, click on the "go advanced" icon, bottom right of your reply screen, then click on "manage attachments", then upload your pic, from there you should be able to insert the pic to your story.
This process varies based on your digital medium, more detailed info to upload pics is in the HELP forum....
It takes a bit of trial and error to get your pics to line up straight, but it won't be long to get the hang of it.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We love pictures. A finds thread without pictures is like a comic book with only words.....ooh, who likes that? So, we look forward to your pics.

OP
OP
G

Gonefishn

Banned
Dec 15, 2016
Shenandoah valley
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcome. Here are some of the pics- now that I look at it, I've given away a lot of things to the property owner-mostly buttons and a couple bullets. 20170121_105808.jpg 20170121_104634.jpg 20170121_110352.jpg 20170121_105312.jpg 20170121_111032.jpg 20170121_104906.jpg 20160702_180956.jpg

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gonefishn!

Nice finds! Myself, like you and others on the board didn't quit fishing, we're doing it in the Dirt -

OP
OP
G

Gonefishn

Banned
Dec 15, 2016
Shenandoah valley
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Valve stem, eh? That would explain the antique license tag cut in half about 10'away from where I dug. Thanks for the input

OP
OP
G

Gonefishn

Banned
Dec 15, 2016
Shenandoah valley
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny comment...I still love to fish, but with constant competition and increased harassment from law enforcement on my method of catching bait-seems much easier to slip in to my honey hole and forget everything else...this one is for you molewacker 20160617_082616.jpg

Attachments

• 20160605_130200.jpg
    20160605_130200.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 44

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey - nice recovery on the fish!

Your Burbot is a relation of my Fav Salt water eating fish - Ling Cod!

Ever out my direction - we'll go swing rigs for Steelhead! :occasion14:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you sharing the story! Your hunting is going very well by the long list of goodies in your pouch! GL & HH

mooncusser

Sep 1, 2016
salisbury maryland
Detector(s) used
garret a/t pro whites v3i whites treasure pro
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
great hunt , just like fishin you never know what your going to get. welcome aboard !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions