Desiree82

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2017
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250 & 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning all. My name is Desiree and I'm new to ALL this. I've always wanted a medal detector and finally got my first went one this Christmas. So I live in Jersey and have no clue where to go. I hear there's LOTS of rules and laws and don't want to give this a bad name. So can anyone help me and even give me tips on anything. I'm also still learning about my detector since weather has not been nice I only used it twice. So anyways hoping someone can give me tip's on anything and tips on where to in New Jersey in the ocean county area. Thanks and thank you for this site and support. Good luck and happy hunting..

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not from jersey but a good tip is to get permission from private land owners. Public land is where things generally get clouded by confusing or even lack of knowledge of laws by the authority. Learn how to properly dig plugs so that you are not damaging the area. ALWAYS fill your holes, even if the land owner says they don't care(don't wanna break legs of any animals or anything). Look into insurance waivers and contracts for permission to detect on someones land(not always needed but when they are it is a life saver). Go out into your yard or garden and bury one of each type of coin, silver and gold coins as well if you have them, gold and silver rings or jewelry, and anything else thats close to what you will be looking for. Then practice, then dig them up and bury them in a different orientations and depths and pay attention to how the signal changes. Next comes research, go to town hall and request copies of old maps, look online for old maps, look through old newspapers, magazines, talk to the local raised elders. Pay attention to anything that speaks of wealth or gatherings of people over long periods of time. Look for places where people drink or picnic, when you get drunk you lose things. Look for paths/ routes that would be walked or traveled everyday. I'm sure i am missing tons of stuff but that should get you started.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard Desiree! Take a look at Sub-Forums: New Jersey for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet from Nick in CT! :hello:

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Welcome!

At the top of TN's webpage there is a heading "The Hunt Starts Here." Look at the drop-down menu - here's a great deal of useful information to help you get started!

The Hunt Starts Here.jpg

I'd like to see TN automatically let new members know about it because it appears most of them miss it.

At the bottom of the Forums page you'll find a series of "Supporting Vendors." If you click on their websites you'll find several have Q&A's and other sources of information to get you going. Kellyco is a good place to start.

Then ask questions.

And - get out there and hunt!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Last edited:

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from VA!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread