SweepNbeep

Mar 3, 2017
The North Star State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi TreasureNet,

I just joined yesterday. I'm in my mid 30's, but have only been into treasure hunting for less than a year. It all started on a trip down south in January 2016. I was visiting some friends, and they took me to a field where one can find arrowheads and other artifacts, as easily as falling off a log. I was dumfounded, because in my entire life prior, I had only found 1 arrowhead. I returned to the snow covered, frozen tundra and began to watch Youtube videos of people searching for Indian artifacts, and I randomly clicked on a suggested video where they were metal detecting. I was hooked almost immediately. I couldn't wait for spring, and I spent the rest of the winter doing research and gearing up.

I'm married with children, so I bought two detectors right off the bat, and now my wife and four kids and I are all in this together. It's very much a family affair, and I seldom go swinging alone. You can find double the stuff with more than one detector swinging at a time, and it's been the wife and kids who have come up with some of the greatest finds. I may very well have to get a 3rd detector before long. We have a late 1800's farm site to explore, and we have found some great coins, and some very interesting pieces including axe heads, hatchet heads, farm machinery, clothing irons, lantern parts, buckles, decorative jewelry, old time bullet casings, and all sorts of other stuff. I even keep finding foil like wrappings that I believe to be old tobacco pouches? My wife dug a really nice 1865 two cent piece, and I also found the Indian head cent that you see in my avatar, at this same site. If there was ever any doubt that I was going to be hooked for life, it ended the day I dug that Indian Head cent.

But little did I know that was just the tip of the iceberg. When I got into this hobby, I told myself that if I ever found enough stuff to pay for my AT Pro, Ace 400, 2 pro pointers, and my digging equipment, I could consider myself lucky. I can honestly say they were all paid for in the first 4 months. It helps that I found a gold wedding band, and a diamond ring already. So anyway, I am blessed with family and good fortune, and I just can't wait for the frost to go out.

While metal detecting is my favorite thing, and my primary focus, I did return to my friends farm this winter, along with the wife and kids. We had an incredible few days collecting arrowheads and artifacts, and our collection is growing fast. There are a few pieces in particular that I can't wait for you to see, as I would love some feedback. I did of course bring the detector, and I would simultaneously swing while try to spot arrowheads. I discovered my 1st large cent that way, along with some other great finds that I will share with you later. I was hoping for some civil war relics, but no dice thus far. But that was enough to get my buddy and his kid into it, and they now have their first detector, and are beginning to come up with some great finds of their own.

While we are out and about, we also look for fossils, and any other stuff that looks cool. I will be posting pictures of some of these as well, as one piece in particular I believe to be very special. So, you will probably be able to find me in almost every sub-forum at some point or another. I'm even developing a mild interest in stamps, as I just found a bunch of old letters that belonged to my Grandmother. It just seems like once your eyes are opened, THERE IS TREASURE EVERYWHERE. I must say, what really brought me to this site, and what I am most enamored with so far, is your ability to identify what a particular find may be. I am finding stuff all the time, with no clue as to what it is. So you will find me posting in the "What is it" forum fairly often. I love reading all the posts in there, it is just so incredibly interesting to me.

So to sum it up, I'm hooked, I'm loving it, I'm finding success, spending great time with my family, and very glad to be part of this community. Happy hunting to all of you!

P.S. the first thing I ever dug with a metal detector was a Bosch spark plug. Worthless by all standard measures, but I still have it!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Minnesota for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumright:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet from Nick in CT It's awesome to hear that you and your family enjoy detecting together like that! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the addiction

Tectey

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2016
Midwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the same boat! Try looking for agates too when you are out and about. That's what got me hooked!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Virginia! If your kids are old enough to walk along, find the "Y" splitter plugs that will split the headphones from one to two and get extra headphones or even adapt earbuds for the kids and let them walk along and listen for the signals too! It kind of gives them a little more of the action and if they are helping dig, hearing the signal may even get them more excited and when you decide to get a 3rd unit. split the phones and let them switch off between swinging and digging with both listening. This was something I remember from someone in the past who had a couple of kids and it kept them interested and gave them chances to do both parts of the detecting. Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
SweepNbeep

SweepNbeep

Mar 3, 2017
The North Star State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome from Virginia! If your kids are old enough to walk along, find the "Y" splitter plugs that will split the headphones from one to two and get extra headphones or even adapt earbuds for the kids and let them walk along and listen for the signals too!

That's a great idea. I'll keep that in mind for those instances when we use them, but we generally don't use the ear phones, because there is seldom anyone else around to bother, and this way everyone can hear.

Let me ask you this, is there an advantage to ear phones, such as you can pick out certain signals that the speaker won't reproduce? To me the head phones are just something to get tangled up. I do use them however, when I don't want others to be able to hear that I'm "finding" stuff.

Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread