Tenderfoot
May 21, 2017
South Lyon, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

Years ago I spent a cup of coffee in this fun hobby. I never practiced enough to get good enough for consistent finds.

Lots of years and two kids later here we are again. The kids just got interested in coins. We've been through all the coins in the house and now need ways to expand our coin collection. My oldest then suggested an interest in metal detecting (bless his heart!).

We have no equipment. We have no plan. We have no location prospects. So we are starting from scratch. And we will definitely need lots of help.

Thanks for this place, I'm sure I will find a hoard's worth of info.

Jamie

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard Gang! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Michigan for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet from an Ohio coin shooter. What part of MI are you in?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
What part of Michigan are you from? There's good people up there you'd love to meet.

Looks like you'll need 3 detectors. Remember that it is a given that you'll be upgrading a year from now to a higher end machine - but maybe not. You can make this just as expensive as you want to along the way - I've spent thousands. There's a number of good inexpensive machines, just do your research on here - and do start lower on the scale to begin with.

Where to start? Great question! Identifying your proximity you'll perhaps find local partners to give you tips on where to go. Michigan is still pretty tolerant to metal detecting and there's good stuff in the ground there. Just research and check the laws.

Remember in your outfitting, finds pouches, digging tools and pin pointers (a gotta have) are part of your expenditures. Start minimal just to make sure you really enjoy the hobby instead of just throwing money away when your family doesn't really take to it.

OP
OP
J

jsonnebe

Tenderfoot
May 21, 2017
South Lyon, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the kind words Mr. Deepseeker. I was on the couch last night telling the wife, "Yea, I'm not going to buy anything for a couple of weeks. I don't have time to get out until then, anyway." Yet here I am, ready to push the buy button on Amazon. lol We're definitely going to gear up slow and hopefully I can do just enough in the beginning to catch the kids' interests. Win or lose, it will be a fun adventure.

And to answer your first question, I live in South Lyon, Mi, which is in the southwest corner of Oakland county. :)

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet from Virginia!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I live in South Lyon, Mi, which is in the southwest corner of Oakland county. :)

I lived in Michigan multiple times over a 30 year period, did quite a bit of work for Lyon Mechanical - if I didn't bankrupt them and they're still in business. I designed mechanical systems for the construction industry. Great area and good dirt to dig in.

You might consider a Tesoro Compadre for your kids, they work just fine, just simple one knob machines but every bit as capable as the Garrett Ace series (I see you now list a 300) and will cost you about $100 less than the Ace - provided you shop around. A buddy of mine picked one up for $159. And, lifetime warranty for the original owner.

Good luck!!!

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome aboard! You're starting out just like I did about 2 years ago. You will have a blast and the members on this website are great people and will help any way they can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread