A&O

Jun 9, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image1.JPG image2.JPG

Hello, I'm new to metal detecting and have found a 1785 Nova Constellatio. I'm excited about it, but am unsure if it is too gone to reveal more detail. I have only cleaned enough to remove dirt by soaking a little in peroxide. I currently just have it soaking in distilled water, as I'm unsure of what can or can't be done with it. I have not gone the olive oil route yet. Can anyone tell what the real state of this coin is, and what can be done, if anything. I'll be happy with it as is if that's the overall recommendation.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post A&O - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
tn_cleaning.gif

While waiting for some suggestions - jump over and browse: Research/Techniques > Cleaning & Preservation

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello A&O,

Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts!

Congratualtions on the fantastic find! That coin has very good detail. :occasion14:

No water, harsh chemicals...etc. All of my old coppers go into a mineral oil bath. The time it takes varies with each coin. Periodically remove the coin and use a toothpick or soft toothbrush, watching very carefully that detail is not removed. Patience is the key. Just understand that you may have the coin the best it can be in its present condition...I would need to see the coin in person to make a better determination.

Great find...enjoy its beauty!

Regards,

Doc

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet from Virginia!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions