GB Newbie

Jun 25, 2017
Green Bay, WI
Detector(s) used
GC 1020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

Im new to treasurenet and new to metal detecting in the Green Bay/ De Pere WI area. Recently I bought a GC 1020 as my first metal detector. Still trying to find the right configurations in order to find the best treasures. Dont know where to set my sensitivity to so I dont pick up false readings & other things i dont want to find. Also, is it easier to set my metal detector to " All metal" or " Disc/Notch" in order to pick up the most treasures? Right now i'm getting practice in my yard before i go to the city parks, but all i seem to be getting hits on is old nails, screws, pieces of metal, metalic rocks, or old metal fence posts. I really would like to start finding the good stuff besides all this stuff.
Any and all help would be appreciated.
Thanks alot.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Wisconsin for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumright:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts! :occasion14:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet! Try doing some air tests with the different targets to get acquainted with their sound.
Best of luck!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet from Virginia! As RustyGold stated, try the air tests with targets you are looking for to get familiar with the sounds your machine will make. But what most on here will also tell you is start off by digging everything to learn not only what your machine is telling you is there (sometimes a silver dime might be hidden by an iron nail) but you are pulling up the trash and learning what makes what kind of sound and if you have a display, you might also learn that too. It will take time, don't get discouraged as you get the trash out, hopefully the treasures will show. Also learn to look for where people gathered or would have possibly lost change getting out of a vehicle, etc. Shade tree to sit under and read or cool off and change slides out of the pocket... Things to consider. Good Luck! Happy Hunting!

mudwhale

Jun 12, 2017
CT
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from CT!!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! I'm not familiar with that model, but if you will turn the discrimination up enough to disc out a nail but still detect a nickel on the grass, you should be good to go. All metal will have you digging every roofing nail and shard of metal in your yard, so some discrimination is the way to go.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions