Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet from Virginia!

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Hello!

I live on the Oklahoma / Arkansas border in Siloam Springs, AR, in the northwest-most county of the state. I detect with a Garrett AT Pro and have an older Fisher F2 I am fond of using as well.

I love the forum here and look forward to participating. If you are in my area, it would be great to hear from you!

Michael

Welcome Micheal. How long have you been in Siloam? Another question, do you hunt the local parks and public schools around there? I have a brother who has lived there for decades, he detects beaches when on vacation. He has the idea that the schools and parks are forbidden. I asked how he knows that and his answer is that he doesn't see anyone hunting them.

This hampers my visiting because I would love spending time with him after getting into the hobby myself. Is he just paranoid?

OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi and thanks for the welcome.

I have lived in Siloam for seven years. Arkansas law strictly prohibits hunting in state parks (other than the Crater of Diamonds, and there only for diamonds), but city parks can be hunted if you get permission. We have a terrific park downtown I plan on getting to eventually that has been there for well over 100 years. Schools are iffy. You might can get permission, but I wouldn't go on campus during school hours for sure. I prefer other types of environments myself. As to your brother's comment he doesn't see anyone hunting places, the only person I have ever encountered with a metal detector in Siloam is me and whoever might be with me! :)

Another thing to consider is that we are right on the Oklahoma border (I can walk there from my house in a few minutes), and Oklahoma has much more relaxed detecting laws. So that's worth planning around on your next visit as well.

I hope this is of some help. Let me know if you have other questions, and good hunting!

OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you DSDigger! That's an impressive arsenal of detectors you list!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard Michael! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Arkansas for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you vpnavy - that's a helpful link for me!

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Hi and thanks for the welcome.

I have lived in Siloam for seven years. Arkansas law strictly prohibits hunting in state parks (other than the Crater of Diamonds, and there only for diamonds), but city parks can be hunted if you get permission. We have a terrific park downtown I plan on getting to eventually that has been there for well over 100 years. Schools are iffy. You might can get permission, but I wouldn't go on campus during school hours for sure. I prefer other types of environments myself. As to your brother's comment he doesn't see anyone hunting places, the only person I have ever encountered with a metal detector in Siloam is me and whoever might be with me! :)

Another thing to consider is that we are right on the Oklahoma border (I can walk there from my house in a few minutes), and Oklahoma has much more relaxed detecting laws. So that's worth planning around on your next visit as well.

I hope this is of some help. Let me know if you have other questions, and good hunting!

So you haven't hunted the Siloam schools and parks yourself in seven years?

I'm not one who believes it's a good idea to call and ask permission on "public" schools and open area non-state parks. Asking seems to get the safe NO and then you find it's being done by others at will.

I hoped to find my brother's quick answer was just misleading, since he'd assumed by not seeing others out in them.

I know that park you mention...a stream with rock bottom. I understand that one of his friends hit it when it was dry many years ago, and had a hay-day in those rocks.

I'm not ready to bring my Texas residency ID to test the police by hunting a park...in a city that is in Razorback territory, unless I hear detecting isn't a nerve center to the law there. I am likely to do it when I move there, as I planned back when I retired.

Maybe others from that area will chime in, hope so.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Michael and welcome to the forum! :hello:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks - digging for 40 years? I'll be watching your posts for sure!

OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you haven't hunted the Siloam schools and parks yourself in seven years?

I'm not one who believes it's a good idea to call and ask permission on "public" schools and open area non-state parks. Asking seems to get the safe NO and then you find it's being done by others at will.

I hoped to find my brother's quick answer was just misleading, since he'd assumed by not seeing others out in them.

I know that park you mention...a stream with rock bottom. I understand that one of his friends hit it when it was dry many years ago, and had a hay-day in those rocks.

I'm not ready to bring my Texas residency ID to test the police by hunting a park...in a city that is in Razorback territory, unless I hear detecting isn't a nerve center to the law there. I am likely to do it when I move there, as I planned back when I retired.

Maybe others from that area will chime in, hope so.

Sorry - I am reposting this in-line with yours. I did a quick reply previously.

I like to not get arrested and have my gear confiscated. :laughing7:
I don't prefer to hunt active parks and schools and such. I do historical research and hunt where things used to be. I'm not against detecting at any spot where coins, jewelry, etc., might be lost, and I will do that when time/opportunity allow. We all do this for different reasons and with different approaches, and mine is more of discovering lost history. It's what I enjoy; getting an idea, researching and planning, and then when I go and discover things that validate those, it's exciting. There are lots of such opportunities in this area for all kinds of treasure hunting -- come enjoy them! :icon_thumleft:

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Illinois, good luck and happy hunting.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Sorry - I am reposting this in-line with yours. I did a quick reply previously.

I like to not get arrested and have my gear confiscated. :laughing7:
I don't prefer to hunt active parks and schools and such. I do historical research and hunt where things used to be. I'm not against detecting at any spot where coins, jewelry, etc., might be lost, and I will do that when time/opportunity allow. We all do this for different reasons and with different approaches, and mine is more of discovering lost history. It's what I enjoy; getting an idea, researching and planning, and then when I go and discover things that validate those, it's exciting. There are lots of such opportunities in this area for all kinds of treasure hunting -- come enjoy them! :icon_thumleft:

I will definitely give you a shout when I plan a visit to Siloam. I am basically a coin and jewelry guy but those items are in relic type spots too.

Maybe we can get my Brother Mike out with us ;-)

mudwhale

Jun 12, 2017
CT
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from CT!!

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome aboard Javadroid. Both my parents were born in Johnson County Arkansas, I was born in Oklahoma, and been a Texan since two years old. Guess that makes me a Texarkoman. Ken

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to T-Net from White Plains, New York! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread