Just looking

DanOakley

Jul 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have acquired a older 2 story house in what is now west Cedar Rapids, Iowa. When I removed some of the outside wall material I was taken back by the construction of the exterior walls. They were stacked 6 1/2" Mill cut Oak lumber some with the bark still on. Now this might have been a great find but the same construction was also on the second floor. Now we are talking about a 2 story house that was constructed of saw mill cut oak lumber. I took me quite awhile to digest this discovery. This house has set all this time with a plaster interior (which had to be added at a later date) and aluminum siding which someone added at a way later date. I am taking comments and suggestions for some more insight. I have the history center, who is taken back also, helping me look into my find. Wow a 2 story Log Cabin on the Lincoln Highway. Anybody, Anybody, Bueller?

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard Dan! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Iowa for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome,sounds like you have a historic structure.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to Treasurenet !
Great discovery !!
If it were my property, I'd contact the local (and largest) title company and request a bid from them to do a "Chain of Title" search; listing all previous owners, including dates of those ownerships. I'd also contact the city and county Historians for any assistance they might suggest as to who built the home--and when. Meanwhile, I'd pound the ground with my metal detector around that property.
Good luck,
Don......

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You beat me to that one DON Start swinging right away! Any thoughts on taking it back to the Logs? At least on the outside. It would be so cool. It would be a little tough to see how many room additions it has went through or other damage. With a little luck it would be intact! The plaster interior was probably furred out to allow for plumbing and electrical to be installed? Taking the interior back to OG could be a real problem.

mudwhale

Jun 12, 2017
CT
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from CT!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread