New kid

Bucwheat

Aug 10, 2017
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,I'm a retired LEO and looking for an outdoor hobby,I have many hobbies including model and diorama building,oil painting,woodworking,metal working,Native American crafts,coin collecting,oil lamp collecting and rebuilding,I have been wanting to do some metal detecting but don't know where to start,maybe I can get some good pointers here.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Georgia for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With those hobbies I'm also guessing you lean toward being introverted. (Not to be mistaken for shy...but I digress.)

Covering the hobby in a few paragraphs is impossible. First rule is you will dig junk and lots of it.

Second rule dig enough holes and you will find something amazing. (Unless you have beginner's luck and find gold on your first target.)

The first question new people ask is, what machine is the best. Wrong question. You should ask what are the different types of metal detecting and how does each match me or where I live or regularly travel. IMO the three most popular types of hunters here are relic (civil war being a huge subset of relic hunters), beach and water hunters, coin shooters/jewelry hunters. I will say this...the guys in Europe make us Yanks look like amateurs when it comez to old stuff.

Amount of time you expect to hunt? Both how often and time per outting. This will play a role in how much you want to pay for a machine and iits weight. Even a few ounces add up on a ten hour day at the beach. But won't matter on short 30 minute hunts.

Get copies of all the catalogs from the major brands. All have decent machines. Avoid radio shack machines.

Don't get a machine with every bell and whistle as a first machine. You'll want a machine that you can learn without a degree.

Don't overlook used machines. ..lots get bought and then live in closets.

If you can go to an actual metal detecting shop, its worth the trip.

Read and ask questions here. Lots of people will help.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum Mr. Bob! Think you'll find plenty of information here and a lot of informative and great people here. Sounds like you've lots of interests/hobbies and hopefully might just add another! Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumright:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts!

:occasion14:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome aboard from Quebec

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are one very busy retired dude! :laughing7: Metal detecting is a great hobby for getting outdoors and getting the blood flowing... and occasionally the adrenaline too! Welcome to our community and hobby!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use to fish 4 days a week now I metal detect 6 days a week and my poles have dust on them. Not to mention my fishing buddies think I lost my mind. Mzjavert gave great advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the forum from SoCal! My tip is to cover your holes and remove the trash finds.
Best of luck out there!

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum from SoCal! My tip is to cover your holes and remove the trash finds.
Best of luck out there!

Yes...and any other trash in area. I always leave the place cleaner than I found it and have learned the art of plugs, side cloth for dirt, pops with a brass tool for surface finds. It is a pain to stop for all the trash and to carry it, but it makes us a more welcome site to our community....and it just feels right. Have fun and I look forward to hearing of your experiences!

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh...and Welcome from RI!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from SoCal
My advice is to contact someone from the list near you and beg them to tag along. You can try a good detector and find one that suits you/get good starter tips.
You are in a great state for detecting. Might as well find that million dollar colonial.
Dig a hole fill a hole
pack out the trash (clean earth you know?)
Get tips hands on from hobbiers
Find lots of gold and silver coins
Thats all got got for now!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread