Hello!

SarahSaru

Greenie
Jan 3, 2018
East Point, GA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys,
New to MDing. I'm super excited, and ready to get started.
I live in Atlanta, GA and have several spots I'm ready to check out.
I also have a few spots over in Alabama I am interested in.
But I'm doing my research into the laws and some things I just can't find any information. I've read a ton of web pages regarding the laws, and have a basic understanding of where not to MD.
I'm hoping to find some locals that have a better idea of where I'm aloud to detect.
I'm curious about local cities around Atlanta, plus waterways / lakes in North GA.
What about army corps of engineers land? Probably off limits, but I'm not sure.
Also, regarding Alabama. What about lakes / streams/ rivers in Alabama? Some of the lakes are really low right now, and I'v seen a few spots that I'd like to try MDing.

I know State Lands are off limits. I'm not looking to hunt in historical places, graves or anything like that.
My parents live in North Ga and we travel up there all the time. We drive back roads regularly and have seen many places that we would like to MD in.

Anyone?
Thanks!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Georgia for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to our forum
BE1568E4-688A-46A5-8702-B64620F6ECE7.jpeg

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumright:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts! :hello:

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Brownwood in rural central Texas!
~Texas Jay

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome,
The local history section of your public library is a great place to find clues to old gathering places, good luck.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Welcome from central coast CA.

Re.: your question: You have done your research, and found a few places you deduced are off-limits . Perhaps they are, or perhaps you're misinterpreting. But assume for the moment you're right, and you've deduced a few places are off-limits.

Yet your question then becomes:

.....I'm hoping to find some locals that have a better idea of where I'm aloud to detect.....

It sounds like you are looking for an "express allowance". As if you're going to find places where there's a sign or a law that says: "metal detecting allowed here". It doesn't work like that. On the contrary: If there's no law or rule that says "metal detecting prohibited", then presto, it's allowed. In the same way you won't see any law allowing you to fly frisbees. If you see no prohibition, it's not prohibited.

Hence all those other places you list as wondering about, you look up laws/rules for yourself (which it sounds like you've done). If you see nothing addressing md'ing, then presto: It's not prohibited. Just use common sense: Avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments. Don't be in the middle of deep holes in nice turf if busy-bodies are watching. Don't go swatting hornet's nests asking bored pencil pushers (look up for yourself).

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from SoCal Try to find the old swimin holes if you are after underwater adventures

OP
OP
S

SarahSaru

Greenie
Jan 3, 2018
East Point, GA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tom!
pretty much sums up what I was thinking.
I'v answered a few of my own questions from Google. :laughing7:
Several ares I was hoping to MD in are not allowed. some local parks/ rec areas. Others, I haven't found a thing and for now will assume I can hit it up!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome Sarah
You might try looking toward the Florence Al. Area. Just as a side note, TVA property is restricted as well but you can hunt the lines. Civil War action happened in that area. Good hunting.
Rook.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the Forum from Virginia! Now is a good time for research and planning for the warm weather hunts. Being further south you may still be able to get in good hunts. If you know anyone with private property that may have had an old home or some historic building, gain permission and check those. Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread