Been Metal Detecting For 50 Years

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5- Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been here reading your posts. You should write a book. Sounds like there are as many artifacts in your head as there is in the ground!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello and welcome to the forum from Massachusetts! :occasion14:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet Bob form an Ohio coin shooter. I look forward to seeing your sage advice or input on others post going forward.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bob and welcome to the Forum from the Shenandoah Valley of VA! Sounds like a lot good stories to tell between swinging the detectors. Good Luck and don't tell us if you pull that big treasure out of hiding, you might have to share with the gummint!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome Bob!

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
Welcome Bob, from a slightly younger geezer, who was introduced to detecting in the 70's, when my brother bought and assembled a Radio Shack detector.
I had a Fisher CZ 6a as my primary a few years back, and traded it on a new whiz bang machine, and like you, regret it. But, I have 3 Fishers now, and hoping for more.
You mentioned you had multiple detectors for multiple jobs. Which detectors, and which jobs? We would like to pick your mind.
It seems one of the greatest compulsions of this hobby, is the Quest for the Best/Perfect detector. It seems we are always on the lookout, always checking out the latest, or even ust rumors.
Personally, I like the CTX. It has every feature I want and like. but expensive!
I look forward to learning from you

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from another geezer in Maryland! I started looking for the stuff in the dirt in the 60's but got the first detector in the early 80's.

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Main it is great to have someone with all that experience at our fingertips... Welcome from Middle, TN

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:hello: Hello and welcome from Southeast Louisiana... "D" Louisiana Flag Emoji.jpg 3rd national emoji.png Bonnie Blue Emoji.png

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob I like all the others on here welcome you to VERY FINE FORUM. I myself have been detecting for over 50 years. I am Near Canton Ohio. Something in Canton is supposed to be famous but i fail to kneel. I would also like to thank you for your years of service to the law enforcement officers of this country. maybe some time we can entice you to post some of your most memorable adventjures / WELCOME !!

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Brownwood in rural central Texas! I look forward to your future posts. They're fascinating. I will have 50 years in this hobby next year. I got my first detector in 1969 at the age of 14 and had to work all summer to be able to afford it.
~Texas Jay
Central Texas Treasure Club

OP
OP
B

Bob Christian

Greenie
Mar 27, 2018
Maitland, Missouri
Detector(s) used
3 different Garrets
1 Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well wouldn't you know it. The next day after I joined this website I had a big stroke and spent some time in the hospital but thanks to Jesus I am not too bad off. I won't be chasing the wife around the house for a while but the good Lord willing I will be soon. I am kinda a tough old bird that the good Lord helps to survive a lot.
Here is a rare true tip for all you who lives in North West Missouri. It is a tip on a treasure buried by the infamous outlaw Ken Rex McElroy "the town bully who was shot down on the streets of Skidmore, Missouri and not one person would tell the FBI a durn thing as to who did it In Broad Daylight in the busy little town. Here is the tip:
One very slow night I was setting in my home made police car near the old car wash in Maitland, Missouri. Ken Rex knocked on the window of the car and ask me if he could get in the car with me and I told him to get in but keep his hands where I could see them. He laughed and got in. We started talking and I ask him how he got started in his life of crime. He told me it all started because of gossip. He said that he was a big tall young man and had a natural mean look about him but was not mean at all, just a dumb country boy. He said the local people started gossiping about him and lying about him calling him a thief and worse. He said he took that for a few years and it really hurt him insider so finally he made up his mind that if he was going to get blamed for things he didn't do, then he might as well do them because he was getting the blame anyway. So he started out on the path of the outlaw. Shooting first and asking questions later. Over a period of forty years he became an accomplished thief and along the way started playing with a few cards short of a full deck, constant sinning will do that to a feller.
I started driving around and drove down an alley with Ken Rex in the car next to me. As we passed behind a store he pointed to the door at the back of the store and ask me what I would do if I saw him coming out of that door with his arms loaded with booty. I told him I would shoot him on the spot because I know if he had the chance he would shoot me to remove any testimony against him. He laughed and said well that would probably be the right choice. I don't like witnesses.
Before the ride was over Ken Rex told me that he thought his time was about up and that the druggers were talking about killing him. Then he said this to me. "Bob you are a poor ******* with a house full of kids, If I die I want you to know I have ten thousand dollars in gold, a fully automatic AK47, some clothes and running equipment buried near the creek near my house near a big old tree, you can't miss it. If I get killed you can have it but if you try to sneak there and take it while I am alive I will kill you. He went on to say he admired my courage at standing up against all those druggers alone and that was why he was telling me all that.
Well not too awful long after that Ken Rex got gunned down, back shot, on the streets of Skidmore Missouri in Broad Daylight and a day later his home was burned to the ground by the people who killed him. I never went looking for the gold or the AK as I do not love money more than God. He never said so but I am sure the gold was stolen and probably the AK also. So I never went looking. The years went by and as far as I know no one but me was told of his hidden gold that was twenty dollar gold pieces ten thousand dollars face value probably worth a hundred thousand today but if ever there was a curse on a treasure it will be on that one.
My health is going down hill quickly so if someone can use this small bit of information to find the treasure then God Bless you. Where I am going before long the streets are made of gold so I don't need it.
But look over your shoulder as you dig, Ken Rex was big and mean and bitter on life and I am quite sure his spirit is more than angry over the way he was gunned down without a chance and he may be guarding that treasure, a very angry spirit who was quick as a rattlesnake in life and as a spirit would be much quicker and meaner. I have seen things in my long life that leads me to believe that such things as evil spirits really exist and can do great harm. I saw such a case as a policeman, but that is another story.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread