New member with a error penny

Djcrystal2911

Jul 9, 2018
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone! I have collected coins for quite sometime. I just never got serious about it until now.
I came accross a 1980 Penny. The word "LIBERTY" on that penny is spelled "LISERTY". You can see it with just a naked eye its that obvious. Can anyone tell me more about this? Its obviously an error.. Is it worth much?
download (1)-ccfopt-ccfopt (1).jpg

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
This is not an error. This is damage. Your coin to a hit, deforming the metal.

Finally time for more coffee.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard Djcrystal2911! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) so if you ask a question, etc. - people may have more success helping you (your location may help etc.)...
tn_link.gif
I searched Google and found a few similar "LISERTY" on different coins and the outcome was always the same - coin was damaged.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've found a great place for information and fellow treasure hunters -- welcome to our community!

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone! I have collected coins for quite sometime. I just never got serious about it until now.
I came accross a 1980 Penny. The word "LIBERTY" on that penny is spelled "LISERTY". You can see it with just a naked eye its that obvious. Can anyone tell me more about this? Its obviously an error.. Is it worth much?

I can see how you would look at this and see it as an error. It looks from the picture as if it is an "S" or some sort of added content from the strike. Could be damage, but I'd suggest you take it to a coin dealer or experienced collector and have them assess it so you can be sure. Good eye by you either way to see it and check! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
D

Djcrystal2911

Jul 9, 2018
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone who commented
I still find it hard to believe its damaged. What could possibly damage just one letter. Under my Loom it shows clearly an "S". How do i go about a expert. Any referrals to whom i can contact?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet....
You found a damaged penny.
Value is one cent.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net from Northern Virginia :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread