Refried rookie.

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Playing with a Garrett XL-500, it got wet.
Minelab Nox-600.
Garrett pinpointer Pro, Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy folks,
I'm no expert, nor am I an accomplished detectorist.
I have been in and out of detecting since approximately the mid seventies, when you could be standing on a 3 pound nugget and miss it with the Radio Shack noise generators.
I probably only have a year in total of actually being out and swinging, and don't really have much to show for other than a few rings, a lot of junk and one gold coin.
But I am back to solidify the urge to whittle down to one or two hobbies, detecting being one of them.
As the Garrett Ace 250 is really the only machine I've had for the last few years, and the XLT is gone, I thought I'd get a new one and start over.
The Excalibur is a machine I've been thinking on for a long time, I finally splurged and bought one, so now I can go and get more serious.
I am past retirement age, and only have about 50 more years to live, I know...terrible isn"t it?
So there it is, and here I am, cheers :laughing7:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: Canada for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your country.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, I noticed that you said you found s Gold Coin. The rules on metal detecting are clear. "Upon digging a "Gold Coin" you are to retire from treasure hunting.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from Mississippi and lots of luck.:icon_thumright:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, I noticed that you said you found s Gold Coin. The rules on metal detecting are clear. "Upon digging a "Gold Coin" you are to retire from treasure hunting.

Or post a picture so we can all eyeball it.....lol Welcome to the party!!! another 50 years is a lot of detecting time and retirement means you have the time....Good Luck and Happy Hunting!!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet from Mi Tommy

OP
OP
Eyeball

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Minelab Nox-600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Eyeball

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Minelab Nox-600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had to retire from T/H, I'd first have to retire from driving the truck all over. I would then have to become an accomplished coil swinging monk, after which I could then have a list of goodies under my belt. After all of that, I would only have the one hobby I'm after and then retiring from that would put me on the bus and in the ground!
But I will consider retirement so as I can travel and spend more time in NV, NM and Utah where I am still spending most of my working days.
EB.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Retirement rules!!! I've been retired going on 5 years now. I do just whatever I want to do and nothing else = I'm happy with that.

If you haven't modified your Excal yet, there's two mods I vigorously recommend:

Straight shaft! Ergonomics makes you comfortable swinging all day.

Pin Point Mod! Just a switch of a button versus raising it up out of the water to switch a knob.

Of course a knob guard is an absolute necessity!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! :occasion14:

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from North Central Illinois. 🙋

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:hello: Hello andwelcome from Southeast Louisiana... "D"

OP
OP
Eyeball

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Minelab Nox-600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Retirement rules!!! I've been retired going on 5 years now. I do just whatever I want to do and nothing else = I'm happy with that.

If you haven't modified your Excal yet, there's two mods I vigorously recommend:

Pin Point Mod! Just a switch of a button versus raising it up out of the water to switch a knob.

Kellyco is supplying the 3 pcs Anderson straight shaft and the knob guard, the pinpoint mod sounds delicious, I'll look it up, I imagine it will just be an addition to the disk/all metal knob to replace the s1 and s2 functions on it.

Garrett carrot is next, and also going to be looking for a second used wet machine, maybe a Garret pro/max, or a Fisher or something, I want to differentiate between machines to learn the excal 2's possibilities.
Did fabricate a short shaft to accommodate the Garrett gear and different coils for skimming and pinpointing with the 6" sniper but have not been there yet, also had mine shafts in mind for those. (I know some mine shafts/tunnels that I can access.)

Retirement is in the making but planning is taking time (wanna do it so'z I can travel and have all my gear with me, looking at some diesel coaches but el cheapo ones.
Anyway...cheers.

OP
OP
Eyeball

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Minelab Nox-600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I did! I did!, but now I'm back!
I'm slow, inaccurate, lazy and ornery, and that will get me started, so any find will be an improvement and sooner or later I should get faster, more accurate, energetic and civilized so things are looking up already and I hav'nt done anything yet.
Dang I love this sport!
I'll be back!

OP
OP
Eyeball

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Minelab Nox-600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the warm feelings and welcomes,
I have been busy reading and enjoying posts also, and for a quick goto machine for the grittier and drier grounds of NV, UT and AZ and NM, I think I am persuaded to get a Garret AT gold or an equinox, saving the excal for the beaches and creeks.
While looking for the gold king Eddie, I ran across my old steel gold pan from the seventies, and was shocked to find it had gotten wet, I suppose, and has quite a bit of rust collected on it danggit!, pitted and all. But I'll try and clean it up and hope it will still be usable.
Pics like I said elswhere, will come, but after I get chilled out and things done first.
EB.

OP
OP
Eyeball

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Minelab Nox-600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hello DS, I am almost home and expect the shaft and knob guard to be waiting for me when I do.
I looked for the pinpoint mod but can't seem to locate the info.
Would you be kind and lead me to that please, I immediately understood the benefit of such a mod as the last knob in the setup is that one and it will be located under and behind the elbow and a pain to go for every time you want to narrow down and check signals.
Thanks for mentioning the mod.
EB.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread