New "old guy" checkin' in From Arizona

sandpaper600

Oct 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. I'm kinda' a "new old guy" here. Yeah, I'm new to this forum, but kinda' an old hand in using a detector. (Not a "new" guy in terms of age either! :laughing7:)

I started out my long, strange trip in Ohio and have seen a fair bit of this country...not most, by any means, but my share I think. We've been in Arizona now for 8 years and I'm desperately getting "hitch itch" and am ready to move on. Only trouble is the heart gave out on the motorhome! So, we've been biding our time here, saving our nickels for a new motor. We think we're going to make it happen this spring!

On the more pertinent info, I swung a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver for years. That is actually a great rig. You may be asking yourself, "Isn't that an underwater rig?" and you'd be right, I was a certified diver for years and dragged the Headhunter down with me on quite a few dives. But, here's the thing...the DPHD may not have all the bells and whistles, but it has one thing above all others going for it. It's light. All the electronics are in the headphones. Nothing on the stick but an 8" coil. Really helps me out on long hunting days. (Those of you that have suffered rotator cuff troubles know what I'm talking about.)

That being said...I am a man, and like all men I am never satisfied with the toys I have in front of me, so a few years ago I finally talked the wife into letting me get a Whites MXT. Man, it was like when dad let me take the family sedan to the prom so I didn't have to embarrass myself in my rattle-trap! Ooooh, the readout! No longer would I have to waste time digging pop tabs! A depth display! Now I could be sure how deep my "treasures" would be found! OMG! The discrimination! Nickel, dime, ring, foil...I was in detector heaven!

Only one problem...It's way heavier than my DPHD. :sadsmiley: I couldn't hunt nearly as long. My shoulder ached the day after the hunt. OHHHHH the cruelty! I had finally found Nirvana (not the band), and all seemed to be in vain.:BangHead:

Not to be outdone, I'm looking into maybe taking the battery box off and hanging it from a strap, or maybe just getting a sling to hang the entire rig from. Either way, I'm still gonna get out there and "swing for the fences".

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: Arizona for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! :icon_thumleft:

For a heavy detector purchase a harness. I use a few, but the cheapest that works well is the "Detector Buddy" or others with some name variation. One of my machines is the Whites V3i and others heavy Minelab machines, with the harness I can swing for 8 - 10 hours with no discomfort! :hello2:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:hello: Hello and welcome to T-Net from Southeast Louisiana..."D"

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from Mississippi.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard T-Net From Northern Virginia!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from North Central Illinois. 🙋

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Sandpaper600, welcome. I was born with "hitch itch" so I keep duplicate everything in my fifthwheel. Getting chilly up here in Idaho, bout time to roll.

OP
OP
S

sandpaper600

Oct 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum! :icon_thumleft:

For a heavy detector purchase a harness. I use a few, but the cheapest that works well is the "Detector Buddy" or others with some name variation. One of my machines is the Whites V3i and others heavy Minelab machines, with the harness I can swing for 8 - 10 hours with no discomfort! :hello2:

Thanks Professor! I'll look into it.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard from Maryland. How about taking both detectors on hunts and switch to the lighter machine when you feel sore? I used to swing a Garrett master hunter 7 with a 12" coil all day on beaches and farm fields and that was much heavier than my new MXT. After enough hours, I would switch from the MH-7 to a lightweight Tesoro for the rest of the day. If you decide the MXT is still too heavy, you could sell it quickly here in the classifieds.

Dragonscout

Nov 1, 2018
Warner Robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO (formerly) - Tesoro Mojave, and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But since I'm gettig back in the sport, I'll probably go with the Nox 800 for the weight savings and from everything I've read. Lots of good info and plenty of free advice here tho, so enjoy!

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've found a great place for information and fellow treasure hunters of all kinds -- welcome to our community!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread