Texas Newbie-getting ready to purchase first detector!

OP
OP
Rings&bling

Rings&bling

Nov 2, 2018
Denver, Colorado
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
follow up to my first post

I did purchase a Garrett ACE 400, not quite at the one month mark, and still really learning this machine. My arm gets really tired, but I guess my 3-4 hour non-stop stints are to blame.:tongue3: I am SO addicted. Here is a picture of my finds for the past 3 weeks. I didn't include my bottle caps to keep my motivation up-but I have gotten my fair share. Not sure why I can't rotate the pic...

Attachments

• myfinds.JPG
    myfinds.JPG
    360.8 KB · Views: 56

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Outlaw, Mojave, Nox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Teknetics Omega 8500 would have been nice, but I guess whats done is done. Garret does make good metal detectors, and you have a very nice load of treasure building up. Now you need a rock tumbler to clean your clad coins.

OP
OP
Rings&bling

Rings&bling

Nov 2, 2018
Denver, Colorado
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
clad tumbler

Woodsy,

Can you tell me more about the tumbling? I do want to clean my coins....where did you get yours?

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woodsy,

Can you tell me more about the tumbling? I do want to clean my coins....where did you get yours?

I dont have a tumbler yet because I just got back in to the hobby a couple months ago and haven't cashed in any of my clad coins yet, but I have been looking at the $70.00 National Geographic one on Amazon.

So far I've picked up the Tesoro Mojave, and Tesoro Tejon. I'm also looking at the Fisher F75+ or the CZ3D for when spring comes.

20181108_215742.jpg

I dont want to be a detector collector so I might get rid of the Mojave.

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On another note. If you dont have a good pinpointer yet, you should be thinking of that first. Having one will more than double your hunting speed.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On another note. If you dont have a good pinpointer yet, you should be thinking of that first. Having one will more than double your hunting speed.

I agree. I started long before pinpointers came out so got used to hunting without one. Once I got one, I wondered how i hunted without it. I got a less common model - an orange Quest Xpointer. I don't have any other pinpointer for comparison, but I like it. I used eBay bucks to get a great deal on it. Now I see that a dealer has them for only $76 with free shipping and I may get another one for my wife.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woodsy,

There are several brands. The rockhound sites are good for research. I have a Thumbler's Tumbler but use it to tumble agate. I had a bank refuse a roll of nickels that were still ugly after tumbling, 30 years ago and it was embarrassing. If your bank or credit union has a coin counting machine, you could try it to see what it will accept and only bother to clean the rejected coins. I've also used dirty clad coins in vending machines, toll booths, and at self-service cash registers.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did purchase a Garrett ACE 400, not quite at the one month mark, and still really learning this machine. My arm gets really tired, but I guess my 3-4 hour non-stop stints are to blame.:tongue3: I am SO addicted. Here is a picture of my finds for the past 3 weeks. I didn't include my bottle caps to keep my motivation up-but I have gotten my fair share. Not sure why I can't rotate the pic...

That's a nice start! Looks like you have some silver in there too. I would recommend against taking it to the Alamo, although I admit that when I visited in 1977, I wondered if anyone would notice if I had taped the cable under baggy pants to my leg and the small searchcoil to my ankle and sorta shuffled along...

bigdaddyhawk

Nov 12, 2018
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Sovereign gt, Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome. ..If you could get on ebay and find a mine lab sovereign it would make an excellent all around machine that really works well at the beach.

OP
OP
Rings&bling

Rings&bling

Nov 2, 2018
Denver, Colorado
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree! A Garrett Pinpointer Pro II came with my detector...I couldn't do without it! I found a ghost town in Texas today that I want to detect!!! There was soooo much trash at this small town park near the ghost town, I got really tired. I know I need a smaller coil for this type of area, but can't afford it yet. I decided to continue to hunt pennies to hone in my pinpointing skills to see how small of a hole I can dig before the penny pops out-got pretty good at it! I learn something everytime I go out. And today was a beautiful fall Texas day!

OP
OP
Rings&bling

Rings&bling

Nov 2, 2018
Denver, Colorado
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Bigdaddy hawk (that's fun saying that!). I have my first detector, so will be a while before I purchase a second one. But it WILL happen! I really enjoy this, it's very calming to be outside and putz around in the ground. I have met some really nice people, too.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree! A Garrett Pinpointer Pro II came with my detector...I couldn't do without it! I found a ghost town in Texas today that I want to detect!!! There was soooo much trash at this small town park near the ghost town, I got really tired. I know I need a smaller coil for this type of area, but can't afford it yet. I decided to continue to hunt pennies to hone in my pinpointing skills to see how small of a hole I can dig before the penny pops out-got pretty good at it! I learn something everytime I go out. And today was a beautiful fall Texas day!

Since you have several sites to hunt and one is trashy, perhaps save that trashy site for right after a soaking rain. The digging will be easier then, less tiring and less painful to your hands. Keep up the good work!

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since you have several sites to hunt and one is trashy, perhaps save that trashy site for right after a soaking rain. The digging will be easier then, less tiring and less painful to your hands. Keep up the good work!

I agree. Also crank up the discrimination. Later you can go back and rehunt the site with the smaller coil.

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you did dang good.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tumbler-wise, look at the Harbor Freight Tools models. They have one and two tumbler types. I use their two drum model...so I can do my clad and pennies at one time. I put a couple of handfuls of coins in each, cover the coins with lemon juice and add about two teaspoons of table salt to each. I tumble the clad for about 30-35 mins and the pennies for 40-45. Then just rinse them in plain water. Don't mix pennies in with clad...the clad will look like crap afterwards.
Here's before/after...
IMAG1887.jpg
IMAG1888.jpg
Best of luck!

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:hello: Hello and welcome to T-Net from Southeast Louisiana..."D"

OP
OP
Rings&bling

Rings&bling

Nov 2, 2018
Denver, Colorado
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tumbler-wise, look at the Harbor Freight Tools models. They have one and two tumbler types. I use their two drum model...so I can do my clad and pennies at one time. I put a couple of handfuls of coins in each, cover the coins with lemon juice and add about two teaspoons of table salt to each. I tumble the clad for about 30-35 mins and the pennies for 40-45. Then just rinse them in plain water. Don't mix pennies in with clad...the clad will look like crap afterwards.
Here's before/after...
View attachment 1655388
View attachment 1655389
Best of luck!

Wow, the difference is striking, Ogre! Thanks for the info! Happy Holidays!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread