Texas Newbie-getting ready to purchase first detector!

Rings&bling

Nov 2, 2018
Denver, Colorado
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi there. I have been following posts for a few weeks now, and finally decided to join this site. I am trying to decide what my first detector will be. I am interested in searching for jewelry and coins only. I live in south Texas, and may make trips to the beaches a few times. My price range is $200 to $400. I am a petite female, so I don't want anything too heavy. While in Corpus, I met a nice gentleman who let me swing his Equinox 800-WHAT A TREAT! I just can't afford that right now. I know I could get very addicted to this activity, I have always been interested in searching for treasures! Any advice is great appreciated. Thanks from a newbie.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: Texas for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome from east tx

ConshyBoy

Sep 11, 2018
Conshohocken PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000 Garrett Ace 400 BH Tracker 4 Vulcan 360 AT Pro Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Conshohocken Pa. you have just became part of the most knowledgeable caravan in the nation both Garrett and Fisher have good entry level detectors in that price range good luck in your search and take vpnavys advice also excellent deals on Charter Member Classified forum I just recently purchased great MD from a CM

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts! :icon_thumleft:

Dragonscout

Nov 1, 2018
Warner Robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO (formerly) - Tesoro Mojave, and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site R&B! Glad ya joined. Take your time getting a machine. Although I got a great deal when I got into the sport, it was too much machine too fast. I still didn't understand the machine when I sold it. But I'm reading all I can and watching videos, a lot of which are from folks here on the site. Look in the "What's New" section and there's a post listing quite a few of the good folks here. If you find a local club near you, go to a couple of meetings and see what folks have and why. Most detectorists want to ponitficate on their "wise" purchases. Then see if a local shop that has detectors allow demonstration. I look forward to your future posts of loot and plunder!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree kind of like a car look at all the options ,water land depth programs ect ect ect test em out.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net from Northern Virginia:skullflag: I'm a Garrett guy so I would recommend the Garrett Ace Series.:icon_thumleft:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome from Missouri!

In your price range I'd suggest getting a gently used Garrett AT Pro...You can find them barely, if any use up here for $300-$400 with accessories. If you have a dealer around, try it out first and ask what to check out if you were to buy used. They might even have a demo model in that range.

I'd stay away from any used in salt water. I have the AT Max, I had seriously considered the Pro...but I wanted wireless and backlight especially. I'd also try and get the 5x8 DD Coil. It's noticeably lighter than the stock coil and is perfect for fresh water and tight spaces.

Good Luck...You'll love this hobby!

Kace

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from Mississippi

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from The Woodlands TX. In your price range, either a new Ace 400 or a used Garrett AT Pro would be a good unit. There is an active club in San Antonio. Call me if I can help you in your decision making. I have both new and used detectors in stock with free shipping.

Wayne

(832) 928-9135

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I highly recommend Metal Detecting Stuff. They are very helpful in making important decisions on purchases.
Wayne is a very kind person who I can also highly recommend.
They’ll get your orders to you super quick and carefully packaged.

The AT Pro is a capable detector but had an awkward balance for me unless I used the smaller coil. The Minelab Equinox and XP Deus are the lightest detectors that I would recommend.
The Minelab 600 would be my first choice. Lightweight, waterproof and can handle the salt water beaches perfectly.
Best of luck and happy hunting.

sataro

Jan 16, 2013
Corsicana, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 | Nokta Simplex+ | Tesoro Mohave | Quest Xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from Corsicana, Texas!

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there are any detector clubs in your area you may want to go to their meetings may be able to pick up a good used one for a good price.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Maryland.

You've already taken the first step by identifying what you want to dig and your preference for light weight.

If there is a local club, many if not most, members will have back-up detectors that they might be willing to loan you to try out. There are plenty of units in your price range. Unlike 30 years ago, most are light but also check for ergonomics and balance, water resistance (I have little rain jackets for my non-waterproof tesoros) and wet salt beach utility. IMO, visual target ID is less important than good discrimination in trash for your first machine.

I got a great deal on a pre-owned but new whites MXT on this site but that may be a bit on the heavy side for you.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread