Newbie from Texas Looking for Advice!

kprice100

Dec 17, 2018
League City, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All! :) I am new to MD and from the Texas Gulf Coast! I am infatuated with history and a bit of a closet nerd. I just find it incredibly intriguing. I am looking to purchase a MD to start my journey with and am looking for recommendations for a mid 30's beginner. I am not experienced at all but learn quickly with new technology. I would like to find a reasonably priced detector that is good for a beginner and also suggestions on where to start searching! Thank you so much!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: Texas for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

2nd - Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

tn_moved_over.gif
3rd - I moved ya from GENERAL DISCUSSION over to NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS for more exposure.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

Raider19962

Mar 4, 2018
Delaware, The First State
Detector(s) used
White's, Technetics, Fisher M, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from the First State - Delaware! Check out the Classified section of this website for some deals. A good place to start is anywhere people may have been for a long time. Any old properties, public lands, beaches or lakesides. Make sure you have permission from appropriate landowners, or you could get into some hot water, and always fill the holes and leave no trace as best as possible. Show us (1) your first find, (2) your first unknown find, (3) your first good find, and (4) any find that gets you excited. If you don't know what it is, don't throw it out. Ask here first. I had a George Washington Inaugural button in a jar of "unknown things" for a year before I found out what it was and how valuable it was. Good luck!

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome From East TX

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome from the frozen solid southern New England area. To answer your other question on detectors; Garrett makes great affordable starter detectors like the Ace series and then you work your way up into the AT series. I just started with detectors about 2 years ago (I’ve been a bottle and colonial dump digger since the 1970’s) anyway, I started with the AT pro which I was very happy with and learned quickly and then upgraded to the AT max. Both machines are user friendly and most importantly to me, water proof. I get into a few local rivers around here and that was a huge selling point for me. This time of year is a great time to buy as there are tons of “package deals” out there. I bought my AT max package with the new wireless pin pointer and an extra coil (13” and stock coil”) for around $800 from metal detectors.com. I use them because they are close to my house, have outstanding customer service, and the best prices around. Anyway, that’s my $.02 happy hunting!!!!!!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! :occasion14:

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from North Central Illinois. 🙋 If you're comfortable with technology and spending a little more doesn't scare you, consider the MineLab Equinox machines. You won't be needing/wanting to upgrade after seeing their performance...and it's like getting six machines rolled into one. My 2¢. 😁

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet from MI Tommy

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan
:occasion14:
:headbang:

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:hello: Hello and welcome to T-Net from Southeast Louisiana..."D"

Dragonscout

Nov 1, 2018
Warner Robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO (formerly) - Tesoro Mojave, and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little late, but welcome to the site from middle Georgia. If you're still looking for a machine, great! Look at Craigslist for the machines that may be for sale locally or within say, an hour or so away. Then come here and look in the "Brands" section and you will find the different brands of detectors. Root around in the posts and get some info on the machines. Look on youtube for some videos and then even ask some folks here or in a local club near you. Absolutely nothing wrong with buying a used machine. I found a used Tesoro Mojave (great "beep and dig" machine) for only $200 with less than 40 or so hours. That machine can last me more than a decade and be just as effective as a lot more expensive machine. Do your research before you buy, learn the machine and you'll be satisfied with the purchase until you decide to get a "better" machine, if you ever do...Really great to have you here and hope you get lots of enjoyment from the site on your downtime or rainy days and post and share your finds here!

sataro

Jan 16, 2013
Corsicana, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 | Nokta Simplex+ | Tesoro Mohave | Quest Xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from Corsicana, Texas!

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've found a great place for information and fellow treasure hunters of all kinds -- welcome to our community!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread