Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2019
EARTH
Detector(s) used
6th Sense
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello there!

Absolute neophyte and virgin to this craft of prospecting. It's an honor to be among those who've far more experience than I. Thirsting for knowledge, so I've come for a drink...

What I would like to do is travel to South America and prospect for gold. I want to be right there in the jungle, among the elements and close to the earth; deep in the unexplored terrain, staking my claim in the earth.

The areas I'm looking at are Guyana & Peru.

Have any of you virtuoso's experience in the aforementioned countries? If so, I would love to hear your tales, experience and any suggestions you could offer one such as myself.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! :icon_thumleft:

Good Luck on your new adventure!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard 666GOLD! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE).

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only saw turd Hoffman lose his shirt because he knew nothing about the jungle.
I bet you better have wise locals if you want to make it down there

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Place an ad on any of the romance sites and you can find a Peruvian Beauty Queen pretty quickly, who will embrace you, your kids, and your bank account - with minimal effort.

OP
OP
666GOLD

666GOLD

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2019
EARTH
Detector(s) used
6th Sense
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Professor of Engineering: Thank you kindly sir.

@vpnavy: Thank you and noted. Cheers!

@Peyton Manning: Who is this Hoffman you speak of?

@DeepseekerADS: Interesting commentary.... unrelated to my proclivities I might add, although I've no need for a "queen" in any country, as I'm only interested in The Color ...friend.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
@DeepseekerADS: Interesting commentary.... unrelated to my proclivities I might add, although I've no need for a "queen" in any country, as I'm only interested in The Color ...friend.

Heh, my second wife was a Peruvian Beauty Queen..... She only cost me $24k before I got away from her and sent her home.

She sure was purty, and I sure was stupido.....

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard and good luck :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
666GOLD

666GOLD

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2019
EARTH
Detector(s) used
6th Sense
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@DeepseekerADS: Ah, sorry to hear that friend! More often than not, the venom of a viper is lethal... However, luckily you've absolved yourself of such dangerous elements and to that, I say cheers!

I've lived in South East Asia before, so I'm familiar with such tales and in some cases, the bite is deadly.

May I ask, were you living in Peru at one point, or stay for any extended period of time? If so, did you prospect there?

@digging440yrs:Thanks very much!

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever watch that show "Naked and Afraid"? Guard your gonads down there in the jungle.

OP
OP
666GOLD

666GOLD

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2019
EARTH
Detector(s) used
6th Sense
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@CoinHunterAZ: I've not but am now slightly curious -perhaps sound advice ( : Thank you kindly.

OP
OP
666GOLD

666GOLD

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2019
EARTH
Detector(s) used
6th Sense
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@BlackBeardRelic: Thanks and cheers!!

@against the wind: Thanks very much friend, not too far away (upstate NY)

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan :occasion14: :headbang:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will need to find out where the resources are. Then you will need to know all their laws and regulations on every level. Then you will need to know who is already licensed to extract gold and sell it, all this gets highly regulated in most places. Todd Hoffman has/had a show called "Gold Rush". He lost a ton of money going to South America to prospect. I stopped watching the show after that. So, you will probably need to do a many months trip down to where you think you can do some good. Claim jumpers are prevalent down there. It's a very dangerous place. You should start with about 2 million dollars of investment money.

Mining in the Yukon or California might do better for you. At least you're not likely to disappear in those areas and not be heard from again.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Good luck in the jungle. Been nice liking your post.:laughing7:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
@DeepseekerADS: Ah, sorry to hear that friend! More often than not, the venom of a viper is lethal... However, luckily you've absolved yourself of such dangerous elements and to that, I say cheers!
I've lived in South East Asia before, so I'm familiar with such tales and in some cases, the bite is deadly.
May I ask, were you living in Peru at one point, or stay for any extended period of time? If so, did you prospect there?

Nah, I was just a lonely old man. She smiled at me when I divorced her - which said "I gotcha :)"

Just another life lesson!

OP
OP
666GOLD

666GOLD

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2019
EARTH
Detector(s) used
6th Sense
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will need to find out where the resources are. Then you will need to know all their laws and regulations on every level. Then you will need to know who is already licensed to extract gold and sell it, all this gets highly regulated in most places. Todd Hoffman has/had a show called "Gold Rush". He lost a ton of money going to South America to prospect. I stopped watching the show after that. So, you will probably need to do a many months trip down to where you think you can do some good. Claim jumpers are prevalent down there. It's a very dangerous place. You should start with about 2 million dollars of investment money.

Mining in the Yukon or California might do better for you. At least you're not likely to disappear in those areas and not be heard from again.

@smokeythecat: Thanks for sharing your insight. I've done some research and made a connect who lives down there. As of my current understanding, it seems like the Yukon in the 1800's (basically wild west, anything goes etc...). Keep in mind that I'm not looking to start a mining operation or any gold operation, at an industrial level: i.e. no investments not withstanding gear that I can take in and out of the bush with me.

Basically, the idea is to kick boots in the bush, find pockets to pan and get busy (me solo or with a partner, where we split everything we find). Truly an adventure and indeed as you say, dangerous in many respects.

Mining in the Yukon or California sounded interesting initially but I feel like there's really nothing substantial to be found there anymore? (do correct me if I'm mistaken). What I mean is, that many of the areas already have claims and for the locations that don't, I've not heard of people finding substantial amounts of the color (nuggets, veins, deposits etc...) i.e. it's not like back in the 1800's where it WAS possible to find something of worth.

Conversely, places like Guyana & Peru are still viable (virgin land etc...) with vast areas of unexplored terrain, that may very likely contain substantial amounts of gold. Add to that the lawlessness, health concerns, overall danger as well as excitement of the unknown; and you've got the 1800's Yukon all over again.

Moreover, I did finally catch bits & pieces of that show with the character Hoffman you referred to (specifically, the Guyana episode) and it looked like they found a nice deposit on that claim: I literally saw them dig with an excavator and pan a good amount of fine gold (QCD claim I believe or something: wasn't their claim). However, I was only able to see near the end of the show where it said they got kicked off the claim because they didn't return the gold/diamonds they found? (idk it was all a bit "merky") Also, something about that claim getting jumped.

^^I guess my point is, that there's potential in the bush!

@DeepseekerADS: I hear you brother. I was almost in the same predicament myself, although I didn't give her the ring; or in my case: her family the bars of gold! Like you said, life lessons.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the Hoffmans had sizable backing (financially) from their TV show.

After the spring rain in California, some big nuggets will be coming out this year, and as long as you are within the letter of the law, the only real thing to worry about would be rattlesnakes and mountain lions, and maybe a bear for good measure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread