Unusual treasures

catyron

Apr 15, 2019
Forestville, California
Detector(s) used
Old Maps, Dowsing, Borrowed detecting equipment from friends.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello, all.

I am new to TreasureNet, but not new to treasure hunting, or to forums. (I run a very large forum on folklore, but that is off-topic here.)

My idea of treasure may be a little different than yours. I have panned for gold and found it (who in California has not?) But i actually decided to join the forum to express my great respect and honour to the late EagleDown. I know the places of which he speaks, and have panned there circa 1957 through 1961 with my late mother and stepfather -- and found plenty of flakes and a few small nuggets.

My stepfather had spent a summer in pursuit of the Lost Dutchman Mine when he was a young man. Needless to say, he did not find it, but he became adept at panning for gold and we went out regularly, and also sought rare stones and minerals, not for profit, but "for pretty." We were rockhounds in those days, and treasure was only part of what we sought.

We also sought relics. A branch of my mother's family had once been located in the town of Copperopolis, and we went hunting for evidence of their habitations in the form of pottery sherds, glass bottles, cast iron, wrought iron, and coins.

These expeditions spurred in me a lifelong interest in finding 19th century farmstead middens and dumps and Native American campsites -- not "treasure" to all, but items of great value to me. A hand-forged grape-hoe head of Italian pattern found in an abandoned vegetable garden spot is as thrilling to me as money in the bank is to others. A sterling silver pin from a Knights Templar gathering in San Diego in 1903 opens my mind with wonder and joy. The obsidian arrowheads and knives and the shaped stone adzes i have found hold a special place in my heart.

I do not own any metal detection equipment of my own, but we have had friends over to search our old farmstead, which was settled in 1875 by a blacksmith (yes, we have found hundreds of hand-forged horseshoes). Mostly i work by old maps and by dowsing.

I realize that dowsing is a controversial subject in this forum, and i fully intend to let the ill-tempered skeptics "talk to the wall," as i will not be replying to them.

I am a G-Scale Garden Railroader, married to a wonderful husband, a proud mother and grandmother, and still working for a living, a few weeks shy of my 72nd birthday.

Nice to meet you!

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! You sound a lot like me. I have a few detectors right now and occasionally gold pan, fortunately, the vein is under my house so I don't have to travel far! It's very, very small stuff however.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: California for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Catyron, A Big Welcome to You to the Tnet forum from Georgia. Glad to have you join us. Most Relic Hunters including myself feel the same as you do about our finds and saves. Our treasure as you said are the relics we find. It's not about a dollar figure, but rather about our History and the personal story or History that goes along with each piece. You said it well. Treasures found is in the eyes of the beholder.:icon_thumleft:

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome from SC!

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan :occasion14: :headbang:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Northern Virginia :skullflag:

OP
OP
catyron

catyron

Apr 15, 2019
Forestville, California
Detector(s) used
Old Maps, Dowsing, Borrowed detecting equipment from friends.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks to all for the welcoming posts. I am enjoying myself here greatly.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:hello: Hello and welcome to T-Net from Southeast Louisiana... "D"

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've found a great place for information and fellow treasure hunters of all kinds -- welcome aboard mate!

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from Bawl-tee-mur Marylyn, hon! Otherwise known as Baltimore, Maryland.

I noticed that you said, "I realize that dowsing is a controversial subject in this forum, and i fully intend to let the ill-tempered skeptics "talk to the wall," as i will not be replying to them."

How about even-tempered, well mannered skeptics? Will you reply to them?:laughing7:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Welcome from Denver, Colorado. I have a friend that I used to work with installing water and sewer to new homes. We couldn't locate a water line one day that we didn't want to hit with the backhoe and my buddy pulls out two pieces of copper wire shaped in large L's. We found the water line dowsing. I laughed at him initially, until I tried it myself.
Looking forward to reading your posts on your adventures.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet from MI Tommy

sataro

Jan 16, 2013