Is this a copper spearpoint?

pholliday

Apr 21, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found this in Trempealeau Co. in WI. About 7 inches in the dirt. Can anyone tell me how to clean it up and straiten it. IMG_5551.JPG IMG_5551.JPG
IMG_5555.JPG

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Since you posted this in New Member Introductions - Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: Wisconsin for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state. Hmmm - sure looks like a tent stake?

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is awesome!
I actually just moved back to the La Crosse area (Holmen to be exact) and i have been doing tons of research.
A copper point is on my bucket list! That is amazing find!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it is! It's copper culture, which is pre-Columbus. I'm not sure I'd try to straighten it. If you do you have to heat it, quench in cold water, bend a tiny bit. Repeat at least 6-10 times, you have to go slow. It might also snap. THAT WILL change the color of it and you won't get the original color back. I'd leave it alone. It's very, very nice.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool find! :occasion14:

IMHO: do not try to correct any defects in the artifact. :icon_thumleft:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy Easter and Welcome Tommy

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope to see some great posts from ya also

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats awesome, what was you using to find it??

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it is! It's copper culture, which is pre-Columbus. I'm not sure I'd try to straighten it. If you do you have to heat it, quench in cold water, bend a tiny bit. Repeat at least 6-10 times, you have to go slow. It might also snap. THAT WILL change the color of it and you won't get the original color back. I'd leave it alone. It's very, very nice.

Smokey, that is all incorrect for annealing non ferrous metals such as copper or brass. To anneal (soften) copper or brass one has to heat the metal to around 1100 degrees F or until slightly red and then air cool slowly. A cold water quench will return the hardness to the metal and make it brittle. One would not have to repeat, but you are correct that there would be no natural patina left and the metal would change color. I don't think any restoration would increase it's value or aesthetics, any attempt to clean or straighten it will only cause problems. I am a silver and gold smith and have worked brass and copper also, you never quench these metals when annealing.

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice find, Congrats!!!

Welcome to TNet!!!

OP
OP
P

pholliday

Apr 21, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher F22. Just got it for my 62nd birthday this winter. Never dreamed I would actually find a spearpoint here in tremp co. I bought the Fisher to look on my family property that my dad had collected over 30 arrowheads in EauClaire Co. I was told that if the arrow heads were there I could probable find the copper as well.

OP
OP
P

pholliday

Apr 21, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know how much it may be worth if I sold it?

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like the completed ebay listings are around 100-500. I would keep it for sure! That would be a highlight in my case, Please find some more!!! what a great find.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from Mississippi

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! It has a nicely formed socket and is a fine piece, what would the length be if it was straight? The value would probably be 175-200 as it is right now. Don't remove any of the patina, just gently scrub the remaining dirt. I agree that if you were to straighten it it would have to be annealed and air-cooled as gunsil explained, but it would pop off the carbonate/oxide patina which isn't ideal. Chemical re-patination (i.e. the "Swellegant" line of products) could be applied but if you leave it as is you won't have to worry about restoring it and fixing the attendant problems. Congrats on a lovely piece!

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the majority, leave it with the Bend, after all you don't need it to go spear a Bear do ya?? or anything else. The Bend is what makes it MORE cool than a perfectly straight one.

Welcome to Treasure net. Brother.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:hello: Hello and welcome to T-Net from Southeast Louisiana... "D"

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find! You've found a great place for information and fellow treasure hunters of all kinds -- welcome aboard mate!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread