And from Michigan we have...

great.gonzos

May 1, 2019
Holland, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gonzo from Holland, Michigan. (Long story on the name, but it comes from my former life. See below...)

Just bought my first so I’m a total newb (Ace 400). Looking forward to learning from all here - for a while. Then I’ll help where I can. But I’ll have lots of questions in the meantime.

Retired AF some years back. Now I’m just a UNIX SysAdmin on a bunch of systems.

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome Gonzo from Texas:hello:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your service and great retirement hobby welcome from Ann Arbor. Tommy

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Gonz from Northern Virginia :skullflag:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to tnet from Mississippi

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Thank you for your service and Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: Michigan for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! Thank you for your military service! :icon_thumleft:

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for your service and welcome from SC!

OP
OP
G

great.gonzos

May 1, 2019
Holland, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! I’m looking forward to some great conversations, some fun and maybe even meeting a few of ya!

Like I said, total newb so far. But hey! I’ve found some junk in my backyard! It won’t make me rich, but 4 old pennies is better than a sharp stick in an eye!

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-NET from the Thumb of Michigan..

I had to study UNIX for a Nuvra printer, that wasnt a easy test but i passed lol

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan
:occasion14:
:headbang:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gg, Welcome to Tent and thank you for your service to this country! Metal detecting comes in many varieties and starting in ones backyard is one of the typical ones as well as the safest as you can do whatever your want, dig holes, trench, etc.

Manners are required in other yards like putting a good sized hunk of cloth down on the grass to turn the plug over on IF you are doing plugs. Leaving a permissions yard/grass looking untouched is important as they will appreciate the care you've taken of their property!

When I started detecting I used an 8" long by 1/8" round "T" handled brass probe (hand made) which required me to become accurate with my pin pointing. At the very end of doing the pinpointing I would hold a pointed stick over the 'detecting' center portion of the coil, move the coil over and poke the stick into the ground. Then I would get out my brass probe and carefully poke it into the ground to find the target. I Did Not have a pinpointer back then and yes it took a while to learn this method but the method allowed me to use a finger and the probe to bring the target out of the ground without make much of a disturbance in the grass. A little pushing the lump in the grass down, a quick rub and the spot was gone.

Of course this method did not allow me to get very deep into the ground but it kept me going for a few years. One time my detector indicated I might have a gold target, the ground I was detecting had a lot of pea gravel under the grass making probing really tough. After about an hour I was able to retrieve a Gold Tooth Crown and I still have it. The first gold ring was where the cement sidewalk had been pulled up in front of the chamber of Commerce in Downtown Redwood City, California. That ring got me over being shy about being seen out in public detecting! Another thing to do is to knock on doors and ask for permission to detect a home owners yard, at times I would offer to mow the yard. Silver coins are found on some private property hunts as Stuiff has been lost from the day pants pockets and Stuff for people were invented.

Detecting can be relaxing, kids can be fun as they will ask all sorts of questions and if they are on top of their game they might even ask you for your Junk targets. OnceI had three young ones follow me around around their yard, two brothers and a sister. The little girl received the .45 ACP ball nose round with rifling marks on it (the boys were crestfallen) and the youngest boy received the pocket knife. I had him take it to his father to ask if he could keep it. The father said yes And that he would help the boy with getting the knife de-rusted and back to working order. Good times!.........63bkpkr

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope to see some great posts from ya also

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've found a great place for information and fellow treasure hunters of all kinds -- welcome aboard mate!

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:hello: Hello and welcome from Southeast Louisiana... "D"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread