Looking forward to fun times!

Giraud1066

Sep 20, 2019
Spring, Tx
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am purchasing a metal detector for my husband as a Christmas gift. I am still undecided as to what to get. I really don’t want to spend over $400.00. I have seen several on Amazon as package deals. If anyone has any suggestions I’d greatly appreciate it. We’ll be doing a lot at the beaches in Sargent, Tx where we have a beach home. Now I can hardly wait til Christmas. This is something he has been thinking about for awhile now but wouldn’t spend the money on one. He is a huge history buff so I know he will love it.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from Mississippi. I believe for 400 bucks you'll get a Purdy fair machine. Good luck and be careful out there.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: Texas for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The type of hunting you will be doing , on the Gulf, will require a machine that can handle salt water. I don't believe that there is a $400 machine that can do that. The Equinox 800 can do it all. Salt water, Wet sand.
, Dry sand, and dry dirt. It also has a Gold program in case you want to look for nuggets. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I am purchasing a metal detector for my husband as a Christmas gift. I am still undecided as to what to get. I really don’t want to spend over $400.00. I have seen several on Amazon as package deals. If anyone has any suggestions I’d greatly appreciate it. We’ll be doing a lot at the beaches in Sargent, Tx where we have a beach home. Now I can hardly wait til Christmas. This is something he has been thinking about for awhile now but wouldn’t spend the money on one. He is a huge history buff so I know he will love it.

Bless your heart for planning a detector for you husband at Christmas.

Here's the way the evolution worked for many of us here. We get a detector, and we get into the hobby seriously. And then as we evolve in the hobby, we start looking for another detector - I spent a lot of money over the years, still have 7 different detectors in my stable = sunk some bucks along the way.

You are too near the water to overlook it, so you're going to need a water detector at some point. A whole new world out there of jewelry - more than you'll find dirt digging.

An EQ600 might do you, don't personally know. An 800 would be better, but I'll never use my 800 in the water. That's what my Excal II is for.

I realize that's a challenge for you, thus my advice is to think towards the future in any purchase you make. It's a judgement call for you = will he get the serious fever? If he does, then there will be more purchases in the future.

Edit: Guess who get first dibs on the jewelry he finds? YOU!

Last edited:

Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White‘s Sierra Madre
White‘s TM–600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Texas coast is an interesting area. Stories of buried treasure by Jean Lafitte and other pirates.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TreasureNet from Southern California. A quality beach detector is probably the best bet for the long term.
One that will handle the mineralized wet sand and the salt.
Minelab makes a great detector called the Equinox that handles the beach, damp sand and shallow water as well as inland hunting (parks, fields, etc.) but the models, Equinox 600 and the Equinox 800 are priced starting at 649. For the 600 and 849. For the 800. Although if one calls around they can get the dealers to knock off some of that price. Also if you or your husband are/we’re in the military Minelab is offering 15% off the retail price to those that qualify. Good luck!
Here is a link to compare the above two Equinox models:
https://www.minelab.com/community/treasure-talk/equinox-600-vs-equinox-800

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! Dry beaches are one thing, wet salt is another. Is there a dealer any where near you that you can visit? The Two Equinox machines mentioned are a lot more than $400. Some have reported they do not work well on black sand beaches, due to the iron content. I only used mine in woods digging, so I'm not sure.

The Garrett ACE 400 and almost any machine will do very well on the dry sand, ocean or whatnot. Tesoro makes a great machine, but they have gone out of business so I'd stay away.

FYI most of my gold comes from dry sand beaches. Do some more research. You'll get a lot of opinions here.

So...I'd look at the Garretts, Whites and Fisher machines as well as the ones mentioned above. All four companies have been in business quite a long time.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! :icon_thumleft:

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Northern Virginia :skullflag:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting