Kipling79

Greenie
Mar 29, 2020
Port Huron, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have toyed around with metal detectors on and off for years, but it is now time to get serious.

I recently moved to Port Huron Michigan for my company, and am living in a very old neighborhood near the lake (has been parceled out since the early 1800's). Between that fact, and the fact that I moved away from my Morel honey-hole, AND the scarcity of bullion right now... Well, I need a new hobby and have decided to learn how to make the AT Pro work for me.

My only concern is that every penny I have found so far in this sandy soil looks like it has been really affected by the soil conditions. Even the few modern pennies I've found look like they have experienced some serious corrosion; almost falling apart. I hope this doesn't mean that the older coins have already turned to dust.

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome from Texas :wave:

All modern plated zinc cents are intolerable to natural weathering and will deteriorate anywhere. Older coins composed of Copper, Silver and Etc are chemically less reactive. Soil moisture around bodies of water has a greater effect of environmental damage to subsurface finds.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome from Mi. Kipling!

Zinc cents fail fast.
Indian head cents tend (depending on soil and it's content) to get green growing on them .
Be careful with them. They can break down easy too. (I'll spare you the details , but consider not trying to clean them...)

Silver will be alright though , mostly , and gold should you find it.

Poke around the elderly locals memories and old newspaper records to try and locate any former swimming areas that are no longer noticeable.
Same with picnic grounds , lovers lane parking , ect..

IF the community had a park with a payphone and or pop machines , there's a possibility of coins amid the trash.
Hard tellin who has detected ahead of you over the years...But like morel hot spots , you might find a niche with enough looking in the right places....
The water should yield goodies too.

OP
OP
K

Kipling79

Greenie
Mar 29, 2020
Port Huron, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the information and suggestions!

Releventchair, I had never thought of some of those ideas.... especially pay phone locations! You have me thinking about other possibilities as well.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've found a great place for information and fellow treasure hunters of all kinds -- welcome aboard mate! :occasion14:

If you know where the old houses sat, find the spots where the privy sat behind each - amazing what fell from the pockets to the ground when business was being attended to. :skullflag:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: Michigan for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from Mississippi

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Ann Arbor I have found some good Indians and pennies but alot of the pennies have been gobbled up by fertilizer or just the soil mineralization. Though the silver coins come out like they were dropped the day before. That AT is a great machine.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome also to tnet Tommy

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :hello:

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 and White's TRX pp, Garrett 400, Pro Pinpointer II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from the Ann Arbor Mi Area. You will find lots of helpful people here...

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread