New to any Detecting Forum with many good finds to discuss

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone I look forward to sharing stories and learning from new friends. I started serious metal detecting last August although I have dabbled twice in my youth. I'm also a graduate level trained archaeologist but currently non-practicing, started avocationally as an arrowhead picker in the upstate NY cornfields. I only mention this because I am an avid student of history and love the excitement of detecting and look forward to seeing what others are finding. I live in an area rich in history. The first European colonists arrived around 1650. Many historical layers here but most interested in the colonial period. I would say my best find is a 1798 US Draped Bust in very good condition (I also have an 1800 and 1801). But out of the gate the most perplexing things I have found are coin-like objects. I am scanning remote forests relatively free of metallic debris. Some bullets and beer cans yes, but no major developments. And these early colonists were agrarian Puritans living austere lives leaving little material culture behind. In this photo I found the red intaglio cameo with gold surround. Do you think it is generic jewelry like a watch fob or someone's actual wax seal? Someone who knows styles might be able to recognize the hat. It was an isolate with nothing within 50 yards. The coin-like object was found a couple of hundred yards away in the forest floor 4+ inches deep. Fairly close to it I found a rectangular brass shoe buckle which matches up to 1730's on a chart. The coin-like object is dense and gave my White's Spectra 3Vi a VDI of 64, firmly in the copper range but not resembling copper at all. It is definitely not lead. And here's the kicker- it weighs exactly one troy ounce. Thanks in advance. colcoin2.jpg colfinds9.jpg

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Eastender! You said you pick in upstate NY - so, take a look at Forum: New York for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved ya from GENERAL DISCUSSION over to NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS for more exposure.
tn_metal_detector.gif
3rd - You might consider posting the "red intaglio cameo" and "coin-like object" on WHAT IS IT? for more exposure and identification...

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TreasureNet! Interesting finds especially the gold coin like object. Was the metal tested? It seems with your education and love of history you’ll be a great match for this endeavor. Great first post and good luck!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net from Michigan!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from Mississippi

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to very fine forum. You can learn a lot here and maybe you can teach us at the same time

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan
8-)
:cat::occasion14::headbang:

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :hello:

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
finds6.jpg I have three of these coin-like objects from a known colonial settlement area, all isolated finds. Don't know how to test and if it's worth the cost.

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up in Allegany County south of Rochester, NY but have lived the past 35 years on Long Island.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Last edited:

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome! Did the gold (colored?) object come out of the ground looking like that? If so I don't know any other metal that can lay in the ground for centuries and come out that shiny. Get it tested and please let us know!

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Iowa

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cforum1.jpg Some finds from near where i live. When you live next to the ocean, you are connected to the world. The Chinese coin is a 1 cash coin of the emperor Kao tsung (1736-1795), the one Real is from the 1770's.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Flawda!

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
colfinds5.jpg The gold coin-like object came out of the ground like that. didn't even rinse it off with water. It has a well-worn smoothness to it. This shoe buckle was not far away.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
View attachment 1816682 I have three of these coin-like objects from a known colonial settlement area, all isolated finds. Don't know how to test and if it's worth the cost.
I think they are coins all right...just don`t know what...you ever try alight cleaning yet ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread